Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitworldmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 23, 2009
Hi All, Im searching through my old video files and I have a bunch of videos from those flip cameras that were popular a few years ago. They produced .AVI files and I cant get them to play! I have Maverick and quicktime 7. They still wont play after I was told to download quicktime 7..
any advice? Much appreciated!!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
As far as I know, Quicktime doesn't play avi files buy itself. You can try downloading and installing Perian. This used to enable QT to play just about anything, but it's no longer being developed, so it may, or may not work. It certainly won't harm your Mac, so give it a try.
http://perian.org

Otherwise use MPEGStreamclip, which is a standalone video player/converter.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi All, Im searching through my old video files and I have a bunch of videos from those flip cameras that were popular a few years ago. They produced .AVI files and I cant get them to play! I have Maverick and quicktime 7. They still wont play after I was told to download quicktime 7..
any advice? Much appreciated!!

.avi is a very, very old container created by Microsoft. QuickTime was never really good at handling it. I definitely second the amazing VLC player, which is free and can virtually play back anything. If you want the videos to be playable on Mac systems out of the box, you can try just switching the container to .mov with this little tool I programmed. It won't lose any quality, since it is merely re-wrapping the content. But if you only want to go through them, this is probably overkill and you will be better off with VLC.

grizzlyedwin

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
Florida
I agree with the previous statements, if you're goal is just to play the videos, VLC Player should do the trick.

If you want to edit the video in another app then you need to install the previously mentioned Perian.

I personally have both since I do both and they're both great apps to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.