Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Can’t wait...

I can’t wait for one of these to show up on the desk of some scientist during a PBS science program, or on Morgan Freeman’s “Through the Wormhole.” You know it will happen. It’s just too cool.

thisma

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Still nervous...

Here's hoping that when they announce the next displays they add support into OS X for a bit depth higher than 8bits per Chanel. It'll be really nice to see the world finally move past the new posterized world created by jpegs and lcds ~13 years ago. Maybe we'll get 12 or 16 bpc. *sigh*

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Not to make you feel old, but don't you mean 23 years ago? :) And what would that be in today's dollars? Daaaaaamn ...

Yup! Those years start flying by when you get to my age. That would be $17,800 in today's dollars. My favorite Apples ever were my two Apple IIIs with 512K of memory over 30 years ago and costing about $8,400 each ($19,000 in today's dollars). VisiCalc had just come out and blew the socks off everything in the market software-wise.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Man $10,000 really is a good price for a system like this.

Not the most efficient if you've got an equipment rack/room full of OG Mac Pros, but definitely a good price if you're a solo shop, boutique shop, or any shop looking to replace iMacs, Mac Minis, and MBPs.

I am not pressed about displays. They'll be here when they get here, and in the meantime you can pick up a TBolt display, then sell them when the new ones are released.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Yes, looks that way. and given the timing it's pretty clear that nothing will ship before Christmas. They really pushed it back as far as they could. I really wonder what the hold up is. I thought it might be a new display but it doesn't look that way. some production issues? I can't imagine what kind. It's not like they need to produce these things in large numbers.

Well, they're not built by smart Chinese workers. ;)

----------

Man $10,000 really is a good price for a system like this.

Not the most efficient if you've got an equipment rack/room full of OG Mac Pros, but definitely a good price if you're a solo shop, boutique shop, or any shop looking to replace iMacs, Mac Minis, and MBPs.

I am not pressed about displays. They'll be here when they get here, and in the meantime you can pick up a TBolt display, then sell them when the new ones are released.

Why would a boutique shop need a Mac Pro?

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
I think Apple have made an error in not putting in any slots/bays for internal conventional or hybrid SATA drives. Many folks don’t want external storage drives connected by cables hanging off their Mac Pro’s. It rather negates the neat design. Our oldest desktop a 2005 dual 2.3 PowerMac needs to be replaced because it will not run up to date software, such as Photoshop CC, Office 2011 and Intego Internet Security. I think I will be looking for a previous model MacPro 8 core ex-demo model at a good price. That way I can just move the 1.5 TB B and C hard discs with all my images and data back up from the PowerMac over to the new machine in seconds.

I am sure someone will eventually make an enclosure that will be designed in such a way that will allow the Mac Pro to sit securely on top of it. Of course, you will still need a cable to connect the drive to one of the Thunderbolt ports. The good news is that the total size will still be less than half the size of the previous MacPro model.

I am also wondering if someone will create some sort of box that the Mac Pro can sit inside and allow for various ports like FireWire, dual Ethernet, PCIe, etc., and an option for rackmounting. I am think that this would be similar to Sonnet's xMac mini Server.

mk_in_mke

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Milwaukee, WI
No other company and workstation...

... Have generated such a buzz... Google news home page was covered this morning with the big news: Mac Pro is coming to town tomorrow... When was the last time a windows machine had such coverage?

Anyways... I am in for the 6 cores+512gb SSS + 2 D700 + 16 or 32 BG ram

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'm good with that. They can ship in February for all I care, just so I get this end-of-year hardware budget spent before the end of the year so I don't have to pay taxes on it. :cool:

Our accounting department considers the purchase date to be the delivery date - if I don't mark an item as "received" in our purchasing system by COB 27 December (end of our fiscal quarter) it comes out of next quarter's budget.

And since Apple doesn't take your money until right before shipping, not sure what the tax situation really would be if in fact you didn't spend the money this year.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
why does it say "available to order", and not simply "available".

This looks like a pre-order announcement.

a. Their announcement right here is a pre-order announcement. You'll be able to order in the future. The sky is blue too.

b. If the orders on day one strip supply it won't be available. They may not know how high demand is going to be but indications are that demand outstrips supply.

... It could also just be an allusion to most of the orders being BTO, especially if they are configured and assembled in the US.

Not just BTO. There are several factors in play.

1. EU markets have been without a "buy new" Mac Pro from almost 11 months. There is a high probability there is a sizable demand bubble there.
[ Sure some folks have bolted to other solutions by now but not everyone. ]

2. Apple invoked the Osborne effect almost 18 months ago. Again another demand bubble generator. For example, a quite sizable number of users on older Mac Pros put themselves into a holding pattern even though they had resource availability to upgrade. They won't because has essentially told them something newer was coming so they stop. That is classic Osborne effect.

[ Sure some fraction of folks have bolted to either 2012 models or other options that are either in the church of box-with-slots form factor or have need for dual CPU packages. The two latter aren't 'new' movements. ]

3. Apple stopped selling the 2012 model well over a month ago. Worldwide in the same boat the EU markets have been in for 11 months. At very least replacing a healthy fraction of those who were already in the "waiting pattern" but bolted in the mean time.

All of those can contribute to perhaps a run on the standard configs also. There is probably some "speculative" filling of inventory by resellers too. Pull in a pool, so that if a drought they can move them at full prices. [ exactly why many of them have been running around getting pre-orders lined up. Get a count and pad it with a 'safe' number. ]

Behind all this is probably a factory that has a top end production rate of 6-8K/units per month. Largely because past the initial "Sooner land grab" and 49er gold rush frenzy they probably don't need a factory with a higher annual run rate.

Once all the deferred purchases are gone, for the overwhelming vast majority of the year simply need a factory that can match the demand of the new arrivals that want one.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
Why would a boutique shop need a Mac Pro?

I don't think he meant a "boutique" as in a clothing store; rather, I expect he meant small, niche graphics and VFX shops.

----------

Our accounting department considers the purchase date to be the delivery date - if I don't mark an item as "received" in our purchasing system by COB 27 December (end of our fiscal quarter) it comes out of next quarter's budget.

And since Apple doesn't take your money until right before shipping, not sure what the tax situation really would be if in fact you didn't spend the money this year.

Ugh. You have a good point. I'll have to check with my accountant.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I'm sure it's a nice computer, but not being able to choose dual Xeons is just wrong for a workstation. I guess all of us who waited and waited, and eventually went over to Win/Linux, certainly won't be coming back because of that fact.

Same here, I would prefer to see something with more CPU and less graphics. And a version with less CPU (core i7) and a GTX 780.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Yup! Those years start flying by when you get to my age. That would be $17,800 in today's dollars. My favorite Apples ever were my two Apple IIIs with 512K of memory over 30 years ago and costing about $8,400 each ($19,000 in today's dollars). VisiCalc had just come out and blew the socks off everything in the market software-wise.

I was working at the computer repair facility on campus back in the 90s and remember working on the Mac IIfx. I still remember the first Lisa that I ever saw and was like, "What the hell is this thing?" LOL

I don't think I ever saw or worked on an Apple III though.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Well, they're not built by smart Chinese workers. ;)

Smart Chinese workers don't often manage to keep up with iPhone/iPad initial demand bubbles either.

I know joking around but there is little indication that where these are being made has much impact. ( well outside of slight slow down due to weather..... and clogged transportation availability this time of year. )

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I purchased my first Mac in 1984 (yeah, I'm now old) and I've owned just about every model since. While my 2009 MacPro is still running reasonably well I would love to have this new incarnation. Unfortunately, I can't rationalize the cost/value these days' but I have to admit it's awful tempting. :eek:

Sidebar: I'm looking forward to the next update to the Mac Mini so I can rack-mount it along with my other audio gear. Okay, this may not be relevant but I thought I'd share just the same. Peace out! :apple:

Last edited:

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Great, beautiful new (Thunderbolt 2) enabled MacPro.....and OLD Thunderbolt display....

Jeez Apple just loves making us wait....

I don't want Apple to rush anything to market before it's ready, but I can't get rid of the feeling, that more often than not Apple is delaying things purely because they can, because they think primarily about milking money as much as possible and not about advancing technology faster. Only fast enough. They are definitely not "hungry" anymore. :(

I for one would love "rampant technology for technology’s sake", when and where it makes sense - like releasing Thunderbolt display with iMac like glare-less glass and USB3, for example. That could easily be done a year ago, and a new 4K model about now. But they just make us wait and wait.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
Stuff like that really makes me marvel at how people can ask that amount all that time ago.
Relatively speaking what were house prices like then, how many of them would buy you a house instead?

Actually the Apple MacII is 33 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.