Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

camera_plus_5_icon.jpg
Popular iPhone photography app Camera+ was updated to version today, adding a new design and a slew of new tools and filters. Along with a revamped app icon, Camera+ has gained an iOS 7-style redesign that also includes all new in-app icons.

In version 5 of Camera+, the exposure compensation and exposure lock controls have been split for greater control over camera shots and a more streamlined shooting experience. Several new tools have been added, like adjustable Clarity and Vibrance controls, manual straightening, color tinting, and duotone tinting.

The app has also gained adjustable Soft Focus and Film Grain filters, along with controls for sharpening blurry photos, creating blur, tinting photos, changing the temperature, fixing exposure, manipulating highlights and shadows, and altering brightness and contrast. Essentially, there are a huge number of new tools to work with in the app, which are listed below.
Clarity Pro
At the head of The Lab you'll find Clarity Pro, which gives you adjustable Clarity and also adds a Vibrancy Boost adjustment which really brings out the life in your photos.

Straighten
Not only can you manually straighten your photos in The Lab... we've also included a slick auto-straighten feature.

Tint
Easily tone your photos whatever color you please. Go just a tad to set a subtle mood, all-out to make a bold statement, or anything in-between. And if you're having a hard time choosing a color, simply roll the dice to get a random one... will it come up lucky seven or snake eyes??

Duotone
This takes the Tint adjustment and brings it to a whole other level. Try it. We'll leave it at that.

Soft Focus
Give your photos a beautiful, ethereal quality with Soft Focus. This one's addictive so promise not to overuse it, ok?

Film Grain
For the look of analog film. Fully adjustable so you can get the exact look you want.

Sharpen
This can often be the answer to a photo that came out a bit blurry.

Blur
Soften harsh pics. Or go to the extreme to make the perfect iOS 7 wallpapers. More on this later... ;)

Saturation
Take it down for a cool, faded look. Or crank it up to make your pics pop.

Temperature
Easily enables you to make your pics look "warmer" or "cooler". It can be used for a simple compensation, or turned way up for a bold look.

Exposure
Photo overexposed? Underexposed? This is the fix.

Brightness & Contrast
Two classic photo adjustments. You'd think that not much needs to be said about these two... but we went out of our way to make them look really good.

Highlights & Shadows
Boost or cut the bright and/or dark parts of your photos. Compensate for imperfect lighting conditions, or go for an intense, artistic effect.

Vignette
Top-off the perfect set of adjustments with a stylish Vignette. Not only can you put on a traditional dark one, you can also go light for an airy feel.
Camera+ is an iPhone-only app that can be downloaded from the App Store for $1.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Camera+ Updated With Redesign, New Tools and Filters

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish it were possible to choose which camera app opens when you drag up the camera icon on the lock screen.

I do like Camera+, but hardly use it because it takes longer to get to it than the native built in camera.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I just gave the update a try and I'm pleased with the new features. Some times I use the regular iPhone camera when I need to take a quick shot and then go back and edit using Camera+ later. Great app in my opinion.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I wish it were possible to choose which camera app opens when you drag up the camera icon on the lock screen.

I do like Camera+, but hardly use it because it takes longer to get to it than the native built in camera.

Put it first left in your app shelf. That's what I do!

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
is this a rumor or ad?

It's a news article about an update to a really great app that a lot of people use. How else do you expect to find out about useful third party apps if nobody writes about them? Why would you want to be left in the dark?

I've discovered a bunch of awesome apps that enhance my iPhone experience through articles like this, so please keep them coming, MacRumors!

Same Here, I almost always use the grabber to take a quick photo and then end up editing it in Camera+.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
awesome update for an awesome app...

About friggin' time Camera+ included a straightening tool!!! Overall, great update, nice icon revamp too. :)

LoMonkey

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2008
Does the top right corner of that icon look weird to anyone else? Looks like the icon isn't shaped evenly to me.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Camera+ often releases features that we later see integrated into the iOS Camera app. You should pay more attention to this post, MacRumors is smart to keep tabs on this app. (Apple even banned the app at one point)

iOS 5 Camera: Volume Shutter, Lock Screen, Remote Triggering

"VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+

I was thinking the same thing. Why Apple wouldn't just include the changes from Camera+ into the stock camera app?

Sure they could get the rights for a right price.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Although I have been a Camera+ user in the past, Camera+ has started putting random version number to make it seem bigger than it actually is. While adjustable filters and iPhone wallpaper features are certainly good features, especially since the update is free, the app is becoming irrelevant given what it does not have.

1. You still cannot record video from the app. Having to switch between two apps to shoot photo and video is very tedious in many scenarios, especially those with kids. Even a rudimentary video shooting mode would've sufficed.
  2. Labs is certainly a step in the right direction, but post processing workflow in Camera+ just feels very clumsy to me. And it's starting to really lag behind iPhoto, which is now free when you buy a new phone. Granted, Camera+ is easier to use than iPhoto, but more tedious when compared to built-in Camera and Photos apps.
  3. No full screen shooting mode. Camera+, like built-in Camera app, takes a lot of room.

Plus, the developers are frankly, well, dicks. They spew lots of hatred on their release note, blog post, and Twitter.

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
[*]No full screen shooting mode. Camera+, like built-in Camera app, takes a lot of room.
[/LIST]

Just curious about this one - aren't they (and the default Apple app) already showing the entire captured region on the screen already? What benefit would a fullscreen mode have?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Just curious about this one - aren't they (and the default Apple app) already showing the entire captured region on the screen already? What benefit would a fullscreen mode have?

I had to open up the default camera app to understand... I think they mean UI-less in the manner that many actual (standalone) cameras can do. I'm not entirely sure how much benefit this would have, but then again camera-wise I'm currently on a 4S coming from a DSLR (which I no longer own) so I kind of gave up on any sort of photography pretty quickly.

narr

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Fantastic new update! The "lab" is superb. Thanx dear Camera+ team and please keep it up, love your sarcastic release notes. :)

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England
Just a heads up: according to TUAW, and the developers of the Day One journalling App, this update to Camera+ breaks the integration between the two apps.

TUAW: "If you use the Day One app for keeping a personal journal, do not upgrade to Camera+ if you can help it -- it breaks the former integration with Day One." http://www.tuaw.com/2013/12/18/camera-5-adds-the-lab-in-free-update/

Day One on Twitter: "Unfortunately we hope you can avoid upgrading to the latest Camera+ update as it's [sic] breaks Day One integration."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.