Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcd2980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
If anyone can help me here I'd appreciate it. When I unplug my iPhone 5c in the morning, the battery % is anywhere from 96-99%. And no apps are running in the background. The first couple weeks I had the phone this was not an issue. Anything to be worried about?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It means you are likely over charging it. The battery is no longer is holding a full charge. Let it go all the way down then turn it off and do a full cycle charge.

Hopefully that will reset the battery stats.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
After unplugging, I use my phone for 1/2 hour playing music and at the end of the 1/2 hour, it still shows 100% :eek: there must be something wrong with my phone too!

Second thought, I'll live with it.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I think some chargers tend to cut the charge off at around 95-98-odd percent, this helps preserve battery life. I had a charger that did this with my old Galaxy S3. As far as I'm aware it's not a fault with either the charger or the phone.

Mcd2980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
But I charge my phone every night while I sleep. How can I prevent an over charge? Should I no longer do that?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
But I charge my phone every night while I sleep. How can I prevent an over charge? Should I no longer do that?

It's impossible to overcharge a battery in the iPhone. It'd explode if you did. The iPhone charger and the iPhone's charging circuitry won't permit it.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
No.

Your concern is only justified if you actually get substantially less battery life using the device. The percentages on the screen are often wonky and only fuel the fire for OCD compulsives.

For all practical purposes, it really doesn't matter if your battery is 99% or 97% charged. Turn off the percentage display and move on with your life.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Despite all of the above, many instruction manuals for cell phone warn against overcharging. This is not because a battery can be overcharged per se, but because extended periods of incoming electrical charging may destabilize some of the battery cells.

In other words, once a battery reaches its full charge, it cannot be charged any further. At the same time, that electrical current that keeps coursing in has nowhere to go, creating a stressful electromagnetic environment and pushing the battery into more of an unknown realm. Depending on type, manufacturer and amount of time left plugged in, complications may or may not ensue.

So, yeah technically it's not overcharged. However, it will likely shorten the batteries life.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
In other words, once a battery reaches its full charge, it cannot be charged any further. At the same time, that electrical current that keeps coursing in has nowhere to go

Nonsense. The charging circuitry is shut off when the battery is fully charged. While not using a lithium-ion battery will indeed reduce the battery's capacity, it's not because of a "stressful electromagnetic environment."

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

ItBeMe22

macrumors 6502
stressful electromagnetic environment."

Attachments

• 1017298_755406464475124_1511444206_n.jpg
    1017298_755406464475124_1511444206_n.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 97

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

In the event the charger or phone do not work as intended, it can cause disastrous effects. Like the poor person on here who had a 3 (I think) almost blow up on them.

In the event your life doesn't go as expected, it can be disastrous.

Having said that, I don't worry about try to keep my battery in "top condition". I keep it plugged into the charger when possible, run it down. I have a mophie case so a little wiggle room is possible.

When the battery goes kaput I'll get a new one. If it blows up...apple has deep pockets. :D (sarcasm in case anybody missed it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.