Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceryder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Reached my limit of tolerance with 'greyed out' and unusable wifi on my 4S after upgrading to iOS 7 and deafening silence from Apple. No help from the store as my phone is 2 years old and no solution anywhere. Shame, as the phone is in good condition otherwise.

So, with a heavy (but angry) heart, have ordered a Motorola G to have an introduction to Android. (For anyone in the UK, Tesco are doing a stonking deal!)

Still love my Air, but am seriously fed up with Apple's hegemony and arrogance.

So, if anyone's made a similar move, would welcome any tips.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Great move.

You'll enjoy it if you give it a chance, but you'll have it right at first, but you did pick a better phone.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
I have an iPhone 4 and have no trouble getting wifi on it. It is on iOS 7. My rMini is the same. Enjoy your new gadget. Android is a much improved OS than it used to be.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
We'll see you back on iOS later. You'll find out that none of the other phone OEMs provide the level of service that Apple does. When something goes wrong with them after your warranty is up, you'll just have to buy a new phone. Enjoy your move.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Give apple a chance. I do hate apples customer service because they suck and never help but i love the devices and they ar in my opinion the best out their on the market. Your probably just being a bit stuborn and it is probably an easy fix.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
We'll see you back on iOS later. You'll find out that none of the other phone OEMs provide the level of service that Apple does. When something goes wrong with them after your warranty is up, you'll just have to buy a new phone. Enjoy your move.

Considering the Moto off contract is less than the iPhone on contract, doesn't seem like a big deal... Apple will replace the phone within the first year for defects and charge you thereafter if you don't have insurance, which is no different than anyone else and Motorolas insurance is better than Applecare... more claims, cheaper upfront and cheaper replacements.

Moto $179 Sim Free
Iphone $649 Sim Free

Apple Care + $99 plus $79 for each claim thereafter, limited to two claims
Moto $79 plus $30 for each claim, limited to three claims.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
To be honest, I used to always hate on Apple. While I could never fully depend on my iPhone, I do like their customer service more than most. I own both a Note III and an iPhone 5c. I'd rather deal with Apple on warranty issues than Samsung any day.

The screen, RAM, and processor scream performance on my android beast...and I'm loving it. Yet a simple blue color made me want to experience my first iPhone too.

I'm spoiled, I know. Haha.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I switched from an iPhone to Android and am surprised at how many comments of "you'll be back" that are posted on threads like this. Simple fact is that I gave Android a good chance, I didn't expect it to work like iOS, a mistake that many make, and found it to be great, I enjoy it far better than I thought I would.

I don't suffer lag, stutter, fragmentation, crashes, poor build quality or bad customer service, again, all part of the misinformation spouted by iPhone owners when one switches from their holy grail of mobile phone.

I have a MPB and an iPad Mini and think them superb and would not swap, I have had all iPhones from the 3GS up to and including the iP5 but would not consider swapping my Nexus 4 or SGS4 for an iP5S, it just holds no excitement for me, and the screen size?

----------

What happens when ones warranty with Apple is up?

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Tesco mobile are currently selling the Moto G for £99.

A pay as you go iPhone 4S 8gb is £349 from Apple. Add AppleCare for £79 and the £55 excess they charge when you do use the warranty and that totals (in the event of accidental damage) to £483. Add in a second claim (another £55 excess) and you're at £538.

AppleCare+ for iPhone is an insurance product that provides expert telephone technical support1 and up to two years2 of additional hardware coverage, including up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a £55 excess fee3

The price disparity alone more than covers any replacement handset should the OP need it in the event of catastrophic damage (go in store, hand over £99, put old sim in new Moto G).

No genius appointments, no hassle as they inspect your phone to see if your warranty is valid and no seeking out an Apple store to do this if you need it as Tesco are the biggest supermarket chain in the UK and have stores everywhere.

Even in the event of an in-warranty repair or replacement, the OP is fully covered by UK consumer law which does protect them rather well.

I think you've vastly underestimated the value of the Moto G vs Apple's cheapest offering.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
How does the moto g camera compare to iPhone 4S camera? I'm thinking of switching from 4S but I'm not keen on going down in camera quality.

moto g vs iphone comparisons online tend to use iPhone 5c, which is not really a relevant comparison.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
It doesn't compare well I'm afraid, I've both and the 4s camera is much better than that on the G. The G's camera isn't awful, but is a marked step down in quality from that on the iPhone.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I switched from an iPhone to Android and am surprised at how many comments of "you'll be back" that are posted on threads like this. Simple fact is that I gave Android a good chance, I didn't expect it to work like iOS, a mistake that many make, and found it to be great, I enjoy it far better than I thought I would.

I don't suffer lag, stutter, fragmentation, crashes, poor build quality or bad customer service, again, all part of the misinformation spouted by iPhone owners when one switches from their holy grail of mobile phone.

I have a MPB and an iPad Mini and think them superb and would not swap, I have had all iPhones from the 3GS up to and including the iP5 but would not consider swapping my Nexus 4 or SGS4 for an iP5S, it just holds no excitement for me, and the screen size?

----------

You have the option of a $199/$249 out of warranty replacement. People I've come across who have problems with their out of warranty HTC/Samsung/Moto/etc. just have to fork up another $649

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
You have the option of a $199/$249 out of warranty replacement. People I've come across who have problems with their out of warranty HTC/Samsung/Moto/etc. just have to fork up another $649

This person has the ability to simply pay £99 ($161.27) for another handset so your situation does not apply here.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

----------

Basically.

Best comment thus far

----------

And applecare+ IS NOT insurance.

It's a product replacement plan and extended warranty wrapped into one.

Insurance covers loss or theft, Apple care + unfortunately does not

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
USA

Or you can fork over $180 for a Moto G or (my favorite) $350 for a Nexus 5 and you're still ahead of the original price and get updated to the latest hardware. Fair tradeoff IMO :D.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Or you can fork over $180 for a Moto G or (my favorite) $350 for a Nexus 5 and you're still ahead of the original price and get updated to the latest hardware. Fair tradeoff IMO :D.

Well that's true. When you're talking lower end phones then Android will come out on top every time. I was more referring to the devices that compete with the 5S like the One, S4, and G2.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Or if software issue does occur out of warranty he could load one of the dozen community roms where the bug is fixed.... Try doing that with Apple.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I was more referring to the devices that compete with the 5S like the One, S4, and G2.

So you came into a thread specifically about the iPhone 4S and Moto G to warn the OP that he'll be back with an iPhone because the HTC One, S4 and G2 we're going to be expensive/difficult to get repaired/replaced in an out of warranty situation?

Is it ok to admit I'm confused by your responses in this thread? :D

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Reached my limit of tolerance with 'greyed out' and unusable wifi on my 4S after upgrading to iOS 7 and deafening silence from Apple. No help from the store as my phone is 2 years old and no solution anywhere. Shame, as the phone is in good condition otherwise.

So, with a heavy (but angry) heart, have ordered a Motorola G to have an introduction to Android. (For anyone in the UK, Tesco are doing a stonking deal!)

Still love my Air, but am seriously fed up with Apple's hegemony and arrogance.

So, if anyone's made a similar move, would welcome any tips.
At LEAST get a Samsung S4, even an S3, but a MOTOROLA?

ANd also, the 4s has had that popular problem. Yes, it's annoying, but you could have gotten anything but the 4s and been happy. Seriously.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
All phones can be expensive out of warranty. I think that no matter what phone you go with, it should be chosen based on what you like.

Don't lean on warranty costs or price as they shouldn't be the only deciding factors.

As an owner or previous owner of every OS out there for mobile, I can just say to go with what works for you.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
So you came into a thread specifically about the iPhone 4S and Moto G to warn the OP that he'll be back with an iPhone because the HTC One, S4 and G2 we're going to be expensive/difficult to get repaired/replaced in an out of warranty situation?

Is it ok to admit I'm confused by your responses in this thread? :D

No need to get defensive. He said he was switching based off the service he got from the manufacturer when it comes to out of warranty service. I was just letting him know that none of the other manufacturers compare with Apple when it comes to quality of service after the warranty has expired. If he's just switching because he likes the other platform better, then that's cool. I hope he enjoys his new device, just don't expect any other manufacturer to service it after the warranty either.

OhHaiThere

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
USA
Well that's true. When you're talking lower end phones then Android will come out on top every time. I was more referring to the devices that compete with the 5S like the One, S4, and G2.

I'm so tired of hearing this. The Nexus 5 is not a low end phone. It's one of the best phones on the market at any price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.