Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
People don't want to be around anyone using it because they don't know if the thing is photographing or recording them. It has major privacy implications which obviously weren't even considered by the product developers.

Ah, so it is a Google product after all ;)

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
That's such a ridiculous argument. There are dozens of different spy cams available that you can hide on your person to covertly record and nobody will know the better. At least if someone is wearing Glass they're being honest about possibly recording you.

No matter if you think its ridiculous or not that is the feeling amongst the security industry. So expect to see these things banned in most public buildings.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
But they do put out beta software.

And a product that they referred to as just a "hobby". Surely Google is allowed their own hobbies.

Personally, I love being able to get early forms of devices. Wouldn't anyone here have loved to have been able to use the prototype versions of the iPhone all during 2006?

Yes, yes they do. But the person I told that to was trying to use it to justify having a huge price tag for a product of very little use. Apple's beta software is free. Their lone "hobby" product is pretty cheap for what it gets you.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes, yes they do. But the person I told that to was trying to use it to justify having a huge price tag for a product of very little use.

Not disagreeing that the price is really high right now, for what it does, but it's not a product. It's a prototype, an experiment.

Apple's beta software is free. Their lone "hobby" product is pretty cheap for what it gets you.

Sure, but there is a huge difference in production numbers.

Google Glass started out limited to the 5,500 attendees of Google I/O, and then I think only expanded to another 10,000 last summer. That's not a lot of devices. That's why you can only get one by invite, and that's why they cost so much.

I think it's cool that they let other developers and users in on their playtime.

Of course, I think it'd be even cooler if Google had given them away :)

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Because supposedly customers know what they want. (They don't.)

I think this is one of ole Job's most misquoted, and misunderstood quips around here. He's not saying that customers walk around in a haze, completely oblivious to what they really want or need. Everyone has a good idea of what they want when they see it.

What he's saying is that customers don't really know they want something until you show them something worth wanting. As in, no one would've wanted something like an iPad until the iPad came out. Now everyone wants an iPad.

He's not saying that customers are idiots. Just that you have to show them the next big thing.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I think this is one of ole Job's most misquoted, and misunderstood quips around here. He's not saying that customers walk around in a haze, completely oblivious to what they really want or need. Everyone has a good idea of what they want when they see it.

What he's saying is that customers don't really know they want something until you show them something worth wanting. As in, no one would've wanted something like an iPad until the iPad came out. Now everyone wants an iPad.

He's not saying that customers are idiots. Just that you have to show them the next big thing.

I think the quote Jobs was fond of was when Henry Ford said, "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.