Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cgermain68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Sapphire 7950 Mac Edition for my MacPro5,1 and it is acting wonky!

Specifically, with Safari some images aren't being decoded properly.
HC3fplo.jpg

DnuX04s.jpg

The image in the left is displayed in Safari, and on the right is chrome. Same URL.

And when using jpegs in Premiere Pro CC with OpenCL enabled.
orSeGVX.jpg

I have contacted Sapphire directly and they said it's likely a defective card. I have since replaced the card with another unit and the issue persists.

I am thinking it's driver related and I am inches away from doing a clean install of OSX 10.9.1...

But before that has anyone had any similar issues or any suggestions for fixes?

I can work around these errors, but I would like my system to work the way I need it to...

Thanks guys!

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
I have the same card and it also happens on 10.9.1

It's a driver issue. Only happens in Safari though.

cgermain68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
I have the same card and it also happens on 10.9.1

It's a driver issue. Only happens in Safari though.

Thanks for the response. Glad I am not the only one...

Has there been any other downsides with this card in your opinion?

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for the response. Glad I am not the only one...

Has there been any other downsides with this card in your opinion?

Well, Bioshock Infinite runs unplayably slowly due to a driver issue, but that's all I've noticed. Apparently they are waiting on AMD & Apple for a driver fix. In terms of professional use, I've seen no issues.

cgermain68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Well, Bioshock Infinite runs unplayably slowly due to a driver issue, but that's all I've noticed. Apparently they are waiting on AMD & Apple for a driver fix. In terms of professional use, I've seen no issues.

That's strange for BioShock - I was going to buy it. I found no hardware issues with Civ5 - I am playing at full graphics.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
The BioShock issue is the game port itself on the 7950 on a Mac. If you look at their forum they give the details.

The Windows version of the game is fine on that card.

peabo

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
The BioShock issue is the game port itself on the 7950 on a Mac. If you look at their forum they give the details.

The Windows version of the game is fine on that card.

If you buy it, buy the Steam version so that you can also install it in Windows and actually play it. It's a slideshow in Mac OS right now.

Also, I use FCPX and haven't seen any problems yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.