Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Hi folks,

First few days of having the phone, everything was great.

Now, when I lock the phone the WIFI basically disables itself. I can tell because when I push the home button, the icon at the top re-appears.

This is pretty annoying because I use iMessage a fair bit and 3G signal seems to absolutely wreck battery life when I have a poor signal (so I keep it disabled)

Effectively, when the phone is locked things such as push mail and notifications have been deemed useless.

I thought persistent WIFI was something iOS did these days?

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
No. You thought wrong.
Wifi always turned off to save battery when the screen is off and locked.
Push and iMessages will work fine with carrier data.
Stop turning off 3G.

It also has the potential to use up a TON of data if you are receiving a lot of emails when the phone is locked and using data.

I also just noticed this problem on my iphone 5. Im hoping there is a fix to this. When I connect to a wifi network, I want my phone to always be connected to that network, until I either leave the area of the network or disconnect from it.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
I'm pretty sure the WiFi kicks back on as soon as data traffic is starting to occur. Unless it's something as small as an iMessage which would be completely transferred by the time the WiFi had a chance to try and reconnect to the network.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It also has the potential to use up a TON of data if you are receiving a lot of emails when the phone is locked and using data.

I also just noticed this problem on my iphone 5. Im hoping there is a fix to this. When I connect to a wifi network, I want my phone to always be connected to that network, until I either leave the area of the network or disconnect from it.

There is no fix cause its not broken. That's the way it was designed and always worked since the original iphone.
You can turn off push emails and just check them whenever you want. that will save you TONS of data:D

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
When data is disabled the Wifi should remain active. That is my understanding of it.

ckc

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010

Wifi will always cut out when the phone is in sleep mode, with one exception, if the phone is connected to a live power source wifi remains active when the phone goes to sleep

mpgolfpro

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
There is no fix cause its not broken. That's the way it was designed and always worked since the original iphone.
You can turn off push emails and just check them whenever you want. that will save you TONS of data:D

Sounds like a pretty dumb design then, if you ask me. Why would I want to use LTE data if Im purposefully connected to a wifi network?

Reactions: Ramius

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sounds like a pretty dumb design then, if you ask me. Why would I want to use LTE data if Im purposefully connected to a wifi network?

To save battery. You wont use much data if you disable push emails. All imessages and push notifications will use a very few kb's of data so that's very minimal carrier data use.
If your iphone stays connected to wifi all day even if the phones screen is not turned on or then you will kill your battery very fast.
Like the user suggested if you keep it plugged in then it will maintain the wifi connectivity even when it goes to sleep mode.

mikeoui

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2011
Québec City, QC, Canada
Is there any update to this? I'm having this problem on my iPhone 5c. I have it in airplane mode because I'm out of my home country. I have WiFi on but it turns off when the phone is locked so I don't get any messages/emails/etc. unless I unlock the phone. I swear this did not happen with my iPhone 4 that I traded in last month.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Is there any update to this? I'm having this problem on my iPhone 5c. I have it I'm airplane mode because I'm out of my home country. I have WiFi on but it turns off when the phone is locked so I don't get any messages/emails/etc. unless I unlock the phone. I swear this did not happen with my iPhone 4 that I traded in last month.

Yea, that is wierd.. my old iphone 4 on perma-airplane mode (wifi on of course) receives push notifications with the screen off.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Is it just the iPhone that is designed this way? I don't recall iPods or iPads cutting off from wifi when locked.

alexsica

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Hi,
New owner of 5C, and having the same problem, but in reverse. The wifi is always on. On my Iphone 4, when i locked the screen the wifi would disable itself and the data connection goes on. i could see that when i push the home button, the wifi goes on after a few seconds.
On my new iphone 5C when i do that, the wifi is on by default. The battery goes off quick and i think it's because of the wifi.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi,
New owner of 5C, and having the same problem, but in reverse. The wifi is always on. On my Iphone 4, when i locked the screen the wifi would disable itself and the data connection goes on. i could see that when i push the home button, the wifi goes on after a few seconds.
On my new iphone 5C when i do that, the wifi is on by default. The battery goes off quick and i think it's because of the wifi.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Do you have a cellular connection (and cellular data enabled)?

alexsica

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2016
Yes, i have the data connection enabled. I think it's just because the new update, i saw many posts about the battery life. The wifi goes of after some time, i tried to check it by pinging it, and after about a minute, i have total package loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.