Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recently resolved criminal case shows how a man was able to hack a high school classmate's laptop in order to take nude photographs with her computer's camera without her knowledge, before attempting to use the images to extort her, reports The Washington Post.

Though Apple's FaceTime camera is designed to always illuminate the adjacent green light at the top of the screen, software has been written to separate the camera and light hardware, allowing both illegal -- and legal, the FBI has used similar software in criminal investigations -- ways.

isight.jpg
While controlling a camera remotely has long been a source of concern to privacy advocates, conventional wisdom said there was at least no way to deactivate the warning light. New evidence indicates otherwise.

Marcus Thomas, former assistant director of the FBI's Operational Technology Division in Quantico, said in a recent story in The Washington Post that the FBI has been able to covertly activate a computer's camera -- without triggering the light that lets users know it is recording -- for several years.
A pair of students at Johns Hopkins examined Apple's webcam indicator [PDF] and discovered both how to disable the LED indicator, and a way to modify OS X's kernel to keep nefarious users from taking control of the LED. The vulnerability they described does not work on Macs built after 2008, but it is likely that similar hacks exist for newer machines.

In the older vulnerability described in the Johns Hopkins study, the software bypasses a hardware interlock that the camera uses in an attempt to ensure the indicator light illuminates whenever the camera is active. It is not known precisely which software package the defendant in the case used to compromise his classmate's computer, but the Hopkins study is the first public confirmation that Apple's camera system can be compromised.

The easiest way for users to protect themselves -- aside from standard security protocols like not downloading strange applications, or allowing untrusted people access to the computer -- is to put a small piece of tape across the camera.

Article Link: Software Allows Hackers to Activate MacBook Webcams Without Green Warning Light

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
I wonder if they've changed the design since 2008. I was under the impression that the LED is on the path to power the camera. In other words, they're wired together in a way that you can't send power to the camera without powering on the LED first.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I would be A LOT more worried about someone accessing my HDD than my webcam. What are you people doing that you are so worried about being recorded? Do you also not go out in public?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
damn those female students with their hilarious post-its at the library on campus were right all along :p ;)

iLoveiTunes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I would be A LOT more worried about someone accessing my HDD than my webcam. What are you people doing that you are so worried about being recorded? Do you also not go out in public?

umm..errrr...ummmm

Giggity..Giggity

Last edited:

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
yup; taping up my camera's now, just in case. The age of internet was nice, up 'til now. I'm not sure how all these revelations don't lead up to a massive protest overthrowing or atleast disrupting your government. It's like boiling frogs...

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I wonder if they've changed the design since 2008. I was under the impression that the LED is on the path to power the camera. In other words, they're wired together in a way that you can't send power to the camera without powering on the LED first.

Exactly my thought.. :confused:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012

But that would make it impossible for the government to spy on you without your knowledge.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
I wanna know how to do this. That way when I'm making a tape with a girl the green light won't distract her. The hotter they are the dumber they are.

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
iPatch

Years ago, when the (external) iSight was dropped in favour of the built in camera, I found a gadget manufacturer that offered an iPatch.
A small pieces of rubber that covered the lens.
That company may see sales moving forward.

Coen

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another case of software being a poor substitute for a hardware solution.

TFA said:
In the older vulnerability described in the Johns Hopkins study, the software bypasses a hardware interlock that the camera uses in an attempt to ensure the indicator light illuminates whenever the camera is active.

Per the article, they substituted their own firmware to the microprocessor responsible for the interlock. Thus calling it a hardware interlock is a bit misleading. If it really was tied to the power rail for the sensor there wouldn't be a way to bypass that. (Though if you could pulse it on and off quickly enough, someone might not notice.)

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.