Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
notice your ship date changed to January? Add certain items and it changes from dec 30 to January: change from base processor/ram/gram, or add pre-loaded software and you'll have to wait.

Ram available from OWC (macsales.com) in 32 or 64 GB. (pcie ssds not yet).

Sharp 4K monitor seems to only be available with custom build, not finding it in Apple's online store otherwise. Dell has 4K monitors available also, 3 sizes.

Yeah, shipping in Jan.

demenas

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I ordered 6 core, 32GB RAM, 1TB flash and D700. I wasn't gonna upgrade the RAM at first, spent a lot more then I wanted to. Oh well.

Ship estimate: January lol. Just like the Retina Macbook Pros, when you increased the flash storage the ship time went up a lot.

Ordered the same config 30 minutes ago, same ship date.

GMTA! :)

Enjoy!

Steve

seetext

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
It looks like if you want it sooner, you need to leave it unmodified. I left mine with the basic options on the 6-core and it told me it should arrive January 7th.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I am a little puzzled why Apple cannot even give a keyboard away with it :confused: as it's much like buying a high spec vehicle and not getting the wheels.

Because most of us already have one? I don't really like their current keyboards anyway.

I don't tend to use the wheels from my last car on my new car btw

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
I like how a $3,000 computer doesn't come with a mouse/trackpad and keyboard included and was really hoping for an update for that ugly white keyboard anyway.

And also upset there isn't a Thunderbolt Display refresh.
...but they do have a 4K display available, I guess that's not an improvement? :rolleyes:

I do agree about the keyboard, I like it except for the da** white plastic keys. I would like one with the dark metal like the Mac Pro and black BACKLIT keys, like on their laptops. It needs to be the full keyboard like the wired one, need the 10-key and extra F-keys. I'd pay extra for one of these (over a Moshi Luna, or ugly Logitech illuminated windows keyboard, wireless but takes up USB slot b.s.), don't care if it's wired or wireless, would prefer bluetooth, but they must get rid of that f/n white plastic. It doesn't go with anything they make anymore, except the stupid white cables.

Distace

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
which components can I change later by my own, which parts by apple and which aren't possible to change?

- RAM
- Graphics
- Processor
- Storage

?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
huh?! :confused:
a display with more price than the main device ?? :confused:

This is exactly why we haven't seen a retina iMac or a retina 17" MBP(Both of which would have to be 4K sized resolutions) and why we have seen no real price drops on the rMBPs but the Airs have.(Apple cut the specs to reach the current price points)

Normally I would say the fact they didn't upgrade the Thunderbolt display was to push people to buy the 4K display, but there is such a huge difference in price I don't think it would even matter. If you are going to buy a TBD, you aren't even looking at dropping 3 and a half grand on a screen. The joke is that they advertise support for 3 4K displays. That's over 10k.

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
Just a question : what are you guys going to use it for ?

I'm an architect and switched from Mac Pro to (maxed out) Retina Macbook Pro last year, and it's "good enough" (but could be better of course). I especially wonder what the extra graphics capacity could be used for ? Is there any software that actually can use this kind of graphics capabilities (other than custom written software for research for example) ?

Xteec

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Australia
I spent more than I wanted, but this is what I ordered:

Good config?

I don't need that much video power, so I upgraded the 4 core to 6 and kept the D300, which I believe can be upgraded later. 32 RAM, I just wanted now. I didn't think 16 is enough for this type of beast.

I don't think the GPU can be upgraded later on. It doesn't say "user accessible" like for memory and the storage.

I wouldn't max out the RAM unless you need it right now. The prices will go down and is one of the items you can self-upgrade later on.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Has it be confirmed that video cards can be upgraded? It looks like it can be.

Last edited:

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
A maxed out Mac Pro for 9,600€??? :eek:

Apple is insane. No thank you. Especially not with the 1:1 exchange rate they are using for prices. The dollar is so weak right now, that after subtraction of the tax from the German prices, the machine would still cost around 11,000$, compared to 9,600$ in the US store. That makes a price difference of 1,400$!!!! That is a small Macbook Pro!

I am so sick of paying a premium all the time just because I am in Europe. Apple should be ashamed of milking their customers like that. :mad:

No Mac Pro for me any time in the near future. My old one will still serve me well for a long time to come.... Especially when I see the relatively disappointing benchmarks of the Mac Pros.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I am a little puzzled why Apple cannot even give a keyboard away with it :confused: as it's much like buying a high spec vehicle and not getting the wheels.

Because it wouldn't fit in the box without making it much bigger.

----------

Apple is insane. No thank you. Especially not with the 1:1 exchange rate they are using for prices. The dollar is so weak right now, that after subtraction of the tax from the German prices, the machine would still cost around 11,000$, compared to 9,600$ in the US store. That makes a price difference of 1,400$!!!! That is a small Macbook Pro!

I am so sick of paying a premium all the time just because I am in Europe. Apple should be ashamed of milking their customers like that. :mad:

No Mac Pro for me any time in the near future. My old one will still serve me well for a long time to come.... Especially when I see the relatively disappointing benchmarks of the Mac Pros.

Apple always builds in a buffer of around 10%. There's no point even whining about it anymore, especially if you're a consumer where you get far better returns policies. It's really not that much extra compared with the fleecing you get from Adobe and Autodesk.

Last edited:

marioguarneros

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011

I think your anger should be directed to the European Union and your own government. I'm sure Apple would be very happy to sell you their products at US prices.

KludgeCin

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Batavia OH
Got Mine!

Mac Pro

With the following configuration:

• 3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
• 32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
• 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
• Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM eac

Deepshade

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Wow that 4k Sharp display is almost pound to the dollar.

£3499 and $3595.

MacPro starts at £2499 and $2999.

Looks like there is no logical formula for their international pricing.

Apple obviously see the UK as a place the can rip the you know what out of. That will never change, unless global trade laws change.

A disappointingly long wait for something that, despite being nice looking, is no great leap in performance unless you spend a shed load.

I'd be interested to see the performance of the single 6-core against the previous 6-core.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Back in the day a professional Macintosh started at $1500!

-- GrandPa Simpson

With that said and Moore's Law nearing its end, I'll stick with my current Mac Pro. $2999 is not a cool starting price for this machine.

colincarter

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Can't wait to get the Starwars R2D2 costume for my new macpro

6 core
64 gb ram
Dual d700 gfx cards
1tb flash ram
Promise Pegasus r8 32tb raid storage

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I think your anger should be directed to the European Union and your own government. I'm sure Apple would be very happy to sell you their products at US prices.

Please elaborate...

P.S.: The tariff for importing computers to Germany is 19%, which equals exactly the sales tax in Germany. As I already explained I had subtracted the tax already from the price and it would be still 1,400€ (15%) more expensive than in the US. This has NOTHING to do with the EU. This money goes directly into Apple's pocket.

Last edited:

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
Just a question : what are you guys going to use it for ?

I'm an architect and switched from Mac Pro to (maxed out) Retina Macbook Pro last year, and it's "good enough" (but could be better of course). I especially wonder what the extra graphics capacity could be used for ? Is there any software that actually can use this kind of graphics capabilities (other than custom written software for research for example) ?

You answered your own question. People are using this where "good enough" isn't good enough. But more specifically, this will be the machine for editing 4K video. That' sway they mention it so much.

----------

I don't think the GPU can be upgraded later on. It doesn't say "user accessible" like for memory and the storage.

I wouldn't max out the RAM unless you need it right now. The prices will go down and is one of the items you can self-upgrade later on.

I don't think processor upgrades were ever described as "user accessible" even though they were possible in the older Mac Pro. The video card is more in line with that now since there are no PCI slots. I'm sure it's going to be possible (but not easy). Can't imagine it being soldered in.

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

So you'd buy a top spec vehicle and leave it with the stock wheels?
Ever bought a new top spec car? You always choose better wheels. Most designers I know have their favourite keyboards and especially a fav mouse.

This just underlies the fact that this is professional kit. The other moan used to be about the pathetic amount of RAM in 'pro' machines. Personally I'd have preferred them to come with NO RAM and then get what I want from Crucial (or similar). In the past, I've bought a Mac Pro and literally thrown away the stock RAM and replaced it with higher capacity Crucial RAM. Saved a lot of money.

TL;DR: Apple know pro equipment always gets customized.

Last edited:

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
People...please go look at OWC ram prices that came out yesterday. It is way cheaper than using Apple especially if you are going for 64GB. OWC for 64GB is $859 and they will give you $75 for 12GB or $100 for your 16GB that came in the stock config. That means the upgrade will only be $795 or $820 at most. 32GB is $479 and that will be $404 or $379 after the trade-in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.