Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daavaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Hello all! Here is my situation:
- 13 inch mba 2012, i7 2.0, 8GB, 256GB
- lastest OS X with the lastest update available on this moment
- freezes from time to time. From time to time means 3-4 per month, or 1 per 2 month, randomly but not very often.

Characteristics of freezing:
- totaly, only restarting only using power button
- freezes in 98 windows style if such ajective is possible. Generally all sounds (music, system, video) hangs with a hickups. All other keeps being still. No mose move no nothing.

As for me it seems like hardware problem may be SSD or memory, but I have no idea how to investigate this kinda of issue.
I have a ligal US warranty but I'm a Ukrainian citizen and have no option for a official service. I probably could bring it to third party service center, but it is my only one laptop for work and entertaiment so, it is the last option that I'd prefer.

the question to the community is foollowing:
- does somebody have the same issues, especially on the same hardware?
- any ideas for diagnostic and investigation methods? how to parse logs?
- can I get some assistance from US apple tech support? (I have leagal warranty yet)

From my side I'm ready to give you all necessary information about this case. Hoping to get some help here

Cheers!

original post on discussions.apple.com
https://discussions.apple.com/message/24155473#24155473

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I am not about to read your Apple's post, just give me the executive summary.

Did this happen with the prior OS?
Are you aware there is a potential 2012 SSD issue (search and Google).
I believe Apple has a world wide warranty, unless you bought it from a shady dealer.
Have you let it sit for a minute or 2 and see if it comes back by itself?

daavaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Did this happen with the prior OS?
Yes, starting from OS X ML, more often or not, I guess there was some periods (several months or more) when there were no freezes at all, now it came back again, with out any noticeable reason for me.

Are you aware there is a potential 2012 SSD issue (search and Google).
I knew about
MacBook Air Flash Storage Drive Replacement Program, but as I understand my configuration doesn't feet their conditions (I have 256 GB drive)

I believe Apple has a world wide warranty, unless you bought it from a shady dealer.
I bought it by myself directly from apple.com, but as I have just checked I've ran out from Apple's 1-year limited warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan :( so no official warranty I guess.

Have you let it sit for a minute or 2 and see if it comes back by itself?
No I haven't. At least this time, minute or more as for me it's plenty of time. You think I should?

One more thing to avoid thoughts that I have some kind of paranoia or panic about this case, I had 3-4 freezes during last month and probably about ten since the September. Thanks for the help anyway!

daavaa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Yesterday it happened again. I left it for a couple of minutes, after which it restarted automatically. I guess this was automatic restart after crash

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.