Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afrodiziyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
PPC G4 won't boot when I start it.Screen is stuck on apple icon and spinning wheel-any one got a clue?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
PPC G4 won't boot when I start it.Screen is stuck on apple icon and spinning wheel-any one got a clue?
Reboot. Hold down CMD+V. This is the command to show a verbose boot. You'll see a bunch of white code on a black screen. What we want to get a sense of is what errors are being thrown up or where the boot hangs. So, let us know what the readout says (particularly the last few lines where the boot hangs).

Using verbose mode can tell us this (more or less).

afrodiziyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
any body out there -help please so much data and work I need to access on the PPC

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
any body out there -help please so much data and work I need to access on the PPC

Put your PPC G4 in Target Disk Mode and using FW access the hard drive from any other mac that has an FW port. Get all your work data and files that way you are safe to do whatever you want on your G4.

afrodiziyak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Can't get beyond grey screen with apple icon and spinning wheel so how do I even get it into target mode?
I have another mac-a mac air...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Can't get beyond grey screen with apple icon and spinning wheel so how do I even get it into target mode?
I have another mac-a mac air...

Press "T" on the keyboard and hold it after you push the powerbutton to turn on your PPC G4. Release it once it presents a blue screen with a firewire image. This will make your PPC G4 to be recognized as a hard drive from your other mac thru FW.

I think Macbook Air does not have any firewire interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.