Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I need to reinstall OS X, but I need an adidtional 150MB to install. I tried booting into Windows on Bootcamp to delete some stuff, and did, but it doesn't change the free space. How can I delete some stuff so I can boot into OS X again?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I need to reinstall OS X, but I need an adidtional 150MB to install. I tried booting into Windows on Bootcamp to delete some stuff, and did, but it doesn't change the free space. How can I delete some stuff so I can boot into OS X again?
First, did you empty the Windows recycle bin after deleting items?
Second, deleting files in the Windows partition in Boot Camp doesn't change the size of the partition, so it won't affect the free space available on the OS X partition. To accomplish that, you would have to resize the partitions.

Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I deleted files on the OS X partition FROM windows, not delete files on Windows. But it didn't free up any space...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I deleted files on the OS X partition FROM windows, not delete files on Windows. But it didn't free up any space...
Do you have MacDrive installed? If not, Windows cannot read or write to the HFS+ formatted OS X partition, so you couldn't have deleted files from the OS X partition from Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.