Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hey everyone,

I attached a picture of some very tempting price on macbooks, ipads and tvs. The guy claims that the receipt is in the vox and that it comes with the 1 year warrenty of future shop and that he knows a guy who works there. From what I know, getting a macbook pro under $1000 is a pretty good deal. But a macbook pro retina for $500. I would buy a couple of them at that price. What are your thoughts on the deal offered by the guy?

Let's say i buy one and it ends up being stolen, can the police take it away from me and neer see the money i spent to get it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 151

WildCard^

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
Sadly the buyer of stolen goods does become a victim of sorts, just like recipients of counterfeit cash.

Trust your gut. Really. If you don't, you have to accept some karmic retribution.

When I buy an MB, I chat. Whether phone, text, or email, I ask a few questions. Thieves seem to count on someone's greed just quickly accepting the wares. Simply asking 'What's the serial number?' scares off a good number of people. I accept this to be a good barometer of if I should even care about an item.

Only once did a legit person dislike giving the serial number for an innocent fear that it was connected to their account. I then asked for the last 4 digits, and they were happy to do that.

In the forum you see a good number of people lamenting that they received stolen goods and it's hindered in one way or another. iPads with iCloud locks, iPhones with bad ESN, MBPs with hot SNs or EFI passwords. They all hint to knowing ahead of time that the deal was too good to be true but ignored it.

God/universe/evolution gave you that gut for a reason. Trust it, unless you think you are smarter than the thieves and the system.

Protip: You aren't.

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
They can also file criminal charges for receiving stolen goods.

Any price that is too good to be true is either a scam or stolen merchandise.

Yeah that one must be a scam or he stole a future shop's delivery truck to have that amount of TVs... I won't get into this kind of deal but my brother will even though i warned him about potential risk... I'll post again with more information if it was a scam or a legit deal...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.