Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I can't wait for the anandtech review. It'll be a few months after everyone else because they'll actually use the thing for an extended period of time before releasing their review.

Everyone else these days seem to release their reviews a day before release having used it for maybe half a day. Bugs the hell out of me. That's the modern tech blogs for ya.

Anyway, can't wait like I say. This is going to be one amazing computer. Wish I could get one.

Know what you mean. I've seen where someone did a review on software an hour after it was released. He did he did it because it was expensive so people would know before they bought it. I mentioned if he knew about major bugs that was already found that he missed before he gave before his stamped of approval. He just wanted the views.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I like it. It'll be a nice machine for many pros. But can I repeat my request for a headless desktop that uses desktop components, starts at $1000, and is very nicely configured for $1500?

You can repeat it- and I'll long for it with you- but this wish has been made for 10+ years. Something along the lines of when pigs fly, hell freezes over, etc. seems to apply.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Still waiting to see Geekbench scores of the various configurations. And yes, I Know that's only part of the story, but I want to get at least a sense of how much extra horsepower I'll get per $.

All CPU options have already shown up on Geekbench.... There was even an article here on macrumors about the 12 core one just a few weeks ago.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I think it might really be more of English speaking/not English speaking thing.

But it doesn't make grammatical or mathematical sense. A full stop (a.k.a. period) indicates decimals in maths. In literature, it indicates a stop, or the end of a sentence. A comma indicates that there's more to read.

Quite frankly, I don't know why people would write 1.000,1 instead of 1,000.1, especially if they're using numbers. You wouldn't do the same in maths, no matter what country you're from. It's completely off-the-wall.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I can has Mac Pro!!!

... no no I can't =...(

As much as I want one. I will wait for the 2nd gen.

so much for a stocking stuffer...

yes, I agree. in a year (?????) I think a lot of things can be tweaked (heat dissipation improvements, and evolution of video performance once 4k becomes established are two that are on my worry list), that will improve and impress.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
But it doesn't make grammatical or mathematical sense. A full stop (a.k.a. period) indicates decimals in maths. In literature, it indicates a stop, or the end of a sentence. A comma (a.k.a. punctuation mark) indicates that there's more to read.

Quite frankly, I don't know why people would write 1.000,1 instead of 1,000.1, especially if they're using numbers. You wouldn't do the same in maths, no matter what country you're from. It's completely off-the-wall.

Something you probably would not do if you were an accountant...lol

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I like it. It'll be a nice machine for many pros. But can I repeat my request for a headless desktop that uses desktop components, starts at $1000, and is very nicely configured for $1500?

Closest you'll get anytime soon is the next mini. Maybe someone will do a nice consumer level PCIe->Thunderbolt 2 video card enclosure for gaming. But Iris will be decent.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I found it interesting that it was a BTO with the 8-core and d700's. I would have figured that having a new unit in hand on day one it would have been one of the base configs?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I found it interesting that it was a BTO with the 8-core and d700's. I would have figured that having a new unit in hand on day one it would have been one of the base configs?

i assume apple gave it to them.. they (probably) didn't just go out and buy it.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
As I remember, those were actually PCs using the same processor, not actual nMPs, But I could be wrong.

I might also be wrong, but it was my impression that no benchmarks were published for actual nMP tests, just the isolated CPU in another machine, which would tend to make me take those numbers with whole tablespoons of salt.

ETA: I would appear to be wrong. Never mind. :D

Last edited:

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

I think Apple wants the initial reviews to reflect a performance wow factor. 8 core plus D700 is probably the best all-around configuration for that.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Obviously, you're unfamiliar with the fact that some Europeans switch the meaning of periods and commas in terms of numbers. To an American, one thousand ninety-two and one tenth would be written as 1,092.1. To some Europeans, it would be written as 1.092,2. Same thing.

Back on topic, the Mac Pros are cool, but I can't afford one. Plus, I doubt I'd really need that much processing power.

I'm 'European' and I write it 1,092.1

Never come across 1.092,2 notation before.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Too bad the base model is outperformed by desktops costing under a grand. And don't tell me that workstation graphics cards make a difference for the majority of people including pros. They don't. The d300's and d500's are both slower than a mid range gtx560 from last generation.

Not to mention dell and HP have better workstations for less money.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
This new Macpro is the nicest looking workstation I have seen, and it beats SGI etc.. for looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.