Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The OS X 10.9.2 beta first distributed to developers this afternoon includes Apple's FaceTime audio, a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) feature that was originally introduced to the iPhone with iOS 7. With FaceTime audio on both iOS and OS X, Apple users will be able to seamlessly call one another from any device.

FaceTime audio is designed to allow users to initiate voice-only calls with other FaceTime users without turning on the accompanying video feed. Currently, Macs running Mavericks only have access to the standard FaceTime app, which bundles both video and audio.

facetimeaudio.png
Users who are interested in voice-only communications on Macs have to resort to using third-party apps like Skype or switching to Messages, both of which allow for video chats and voice-only chats.

According to 9to5Mac, the FaceTime audio feature is "integrated deeply" into both the Messages and FaceTime apps, making voice communication between Apple users on any device easier than ever. With Messages, FaceTime, and FaceTime audio on iOS and OS X, Apple will have a complete communication system in place.

With a simple way to answer telephone calls and chat requests from all devices, those in Apple's ecosystem will have little reason to resort to alternative VoIP apps when communicating with other Apple users. FaceTime audio is also a high-quality VoIP choice, as it uses the AAC-ELD codec for Full-HD Voice. AAC-ELD is designed to provide CD-like audio quality for voice calls, delivering high speech and audio quality at a low coding delay.

It is unknown when OS X 10.9.2 will be released to the general public, but OS X 10.9.1 was in development for just over a month before it was distributed earlier this week. While Apple has been known to remove beta features ahead of release, it is likely FaceTime audio will make it to end users as it is already available on iOS.

Article Link: FaceTime Audio Coming to Macs With Next OS X Update

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I fail to see how this is going to be practical when Facetime is not open. Can't use it with my wife because she has an Android phone.

Don't get me wrong it is good that this is addressed but I don't really know who would extensively use this apart from one or two friends.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I love FaceTime Audio! So long Skype!

FTA is worth the cost of the Apple ecosystem by itself.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Its stuff like this that gives the carriers nightmares!

And for that I will forever be grateful to Jobs for giving the power back to the people!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
1. That's great. I've been wanting this.
2. Can it please be a part of Messages? It's weird that I have one app for IM and the AOL/.Mac/MobileMe/whatever video and audio chat then another just for FaceTime.

----------

that is gr8...
but what about conference calls?
adding this feature will send Skype to the graveyard.

This too. But to kill Skype, FaceTime has to go cross-platform.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
It was a bad move renaming iChat. FaceTime was never a great name and it's even more awkward now.

They renamed iChat to "Messages", a standard non-proper English noun. Even worse than FaceTime because you can't Google it without getting a ton of irrelevant results!!

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
I'm getting close to canceling my text plan because most of the people I text have iPhones anyway. This might allow me to go to a zero minute plan as well. That explains why data is so darn expensive. Obviously, carriers have seen this coming for a while. Hence, the unlimited minute plans.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I'm getting close to canceling my text plan because most of the people I text have iPhones anyway. This might allow me to go to a zero minute plan as well. That explains why data is so darn expensive. Obviously, carriers have seen this coming for a while. Hence, the unlimited minute plans.

Then some scumbag with a random phone sends you text message... 30 cents down the drain. Unless you have a carrier that lets you totally cancel SMS.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
awesome, I love it. video calls is the future,
but audio calls is still more convenient.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I fail to see how this is going to be practical when Facetime is not open. Can't use it with my wife because she has an Android phone.

Don't get me wrong it is good that this is addressed but I don't really know who would extensively use this apart from one or two friends.
FaceTime can notify you of incoming FaceTime calls even when it is not open. If you want to call someone who uses iOS when you are at your Mac, it will be easy. How often this comes up for you will depend how many of your friends use iOS / Macs. I suggest getting your wife an iPhone.

hansonjohn590

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2013

Well said. What good is a calling feature if it's not open? I thought way back when Facetime was introduced, Apple said it would be made open.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
It was a bad move renaming iChat. FaceTime was never a great name and it's even more awkward now.
I don't think iChat had a very good reputation, and the names conjures up the 'chat rooms' of the 1990s. Apple needed to rebrand and they did.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Well said. What good is a calling feature if it's not open? I thought way back when Facetime was introduced, Apple said it would be made open.

It doesn't need to be open, its built into the core of OS X. I never have my facetime or messages app open, and I'm still able to receive notifications and calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.