Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
It doesn't need to be open, its built into the core of OS X. I never have my facetime or messages app open, and I'm still able to receive notifications and calls.

By Open, he meant Open standard. So it is implemented across platforms and devices and not just on iOS.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Well said. What good is a calling feature if it's not open? I thought way back when Facetime was introduced, Apple said it would be made open.
The reality is that FaceTime / Messages are not free. It costs Apple money to run the servers and it costs money to maintain the software. Apple doesn't have the kind of business model that allows it to provide messaging services free of charge to the entire internet. Neither does anyone else for that matter- there is no prospect of being able to monetize the idea of sending messages over the internet with all the free alternatives. As a result, they aren't going to open it up unless they think it will increase their hardware sales.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
YES! I SO KNEW GETTING AN IPOD TOUCH FOR CHRISTMAS WAS GOING TO BE WORTH IT!!!!

Everyone in my house has iOS devices, so this is going to be awesome. I don't have to even have a cellphone anymore now. :D Just internet access for my Mac and it.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
They renamed iChat to "Messages", a standard non-proper English noun. Even worse than FaceTime because you can't Google it without getting a ton of irrelevant results!!

Just type in iMessages. Or apple messaging. Or Mac messages app. Very simple to add another word to the search. Many people already know about this though. No brainer.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The reality is that FaceTime / Messages are not free. It costs Apple money to run the servers and it costs money to maintain the software. Apple doesn't have the kind of business model that allows it to provide messaging services free of charge to the entire internet. Neither does anyone else for that matter- there is no prospect of being able to monetize the idea of sending messages over the internet with all the free alternatives. As a result, they aren't going to open it up unless they think it will increase their hardware sales.

It costs money to maintain these services but its all taken into consideration when you plunk down the money to buy a iOS device... :)

Plus, its these services that are the lure... Google has a lot right now but most of them are not as polished as Apple's.

Would love Apple to get into more such services.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I fail to see how this is going to be practical when Facetime is not open. Can't use it with my wife because she has an Android phone.

Don't get me wrong it is good that this is addressed but I don't really know who would extensively use this apart from one or two friends.

My wife and I both have Macs and iPhones. In fact most of my friends and clients do as well. With almost 50% of smartphones in the U.S. being iPhones and with Macs, iPod Touches, and iPads as well added to that number, there are going to be a LOT of people finding this useful.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
IMO FaceTime audio is one of the best features of iOS 7. I can't stand the low quality of cell phone calls. FaceTime is such an improvement. I use it all the time when calling people also on iOS 7. This will only make it that much more useful.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
How does it compare to Skype

HiDef sounds like a great idea, but is it any better than Skype? What about over low-bandwidth connections?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

Just like iTunes and iCloud cpanel for Windows.
Bringing Facetime and iMessage support to Windows will only bring positive sales for Apple. As a bonus it will be considered the good guy so Apple would sell more iOS devices.

JDee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Ireland
If anyone hasn't tried out FaceTime Audio yet, I strongly suggest you do so.

It's amazing how clear it is. I thought to myself "How clear can a phone call be?" but I was amazed.

Even if you haven't got anyone to try it with, try it with yourself!

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
If anyone hasn't tried out FaceTime Audio yet, I strongly suggest you do so.

It's amazing how clear it is. I thought to myself "How clear can a phone call be?" but I was amazed.

Even if you haven't got anyone to try it with, try it with yourself!

How do you try it with yourself? :confused:

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
I fail to see how this is going to be practical when Facetime is not open. Can't use it with my wife because she has an Android phone.

Don't get me wrong it is good that this is addressed but I don't really know who would extensively use this apart from one or two friends.

Time to get her an iPhone for christmas ;)

ad1921a

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Missouri
Sweet.

For my Fam, I feel like FaceTime really brought the Jetson style future to our fingertips. The reason I dig FaceTime is it's crazy simple to use that everyone from my Mom and Dad to my son can use it. No additional apps to run and nothing to really learn how to use. Works extra well for me since about 98% of my family on both my and my wife's side all are on iPhone eco system. FaceTime audio is just yet another perk that we'll use. What really finally made FaceTime shine was when the phone carriers finally allowed it. We're taking a trip for the holidays and my parents love to FaceTime my son and experience all the great things he's seeing. Pretty awesome.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Just like iTunes and iCloud cpanel for Windows.
Bringing Facetime and iMessage support to Windows will only bring positive sales for Apple. As a bonus it will be considered the good guy so Apple would sell more iOS devices.
Opening it to Microsoft products probably would be a good move as it would add users and good will and since Microsoft is dead in the water from a competitive point of view the threat of lost users would be minimal. However, open it up to android and you get a real threat of making it easy to switch off iOS combined with a real expense of supporting it all. For that reason, it's not going to happen for any platform.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
This is great.

I think the next evolution in FaceTime audio should be as follows:
- Caller initiates phone call
- Caller's phone checks to see if it's on Wi-Fi (or if a setting has been checked in Settings to allow FaceTime Audio over cellular)
- Caller's phone checks if recipient's phone is on Wi-Fi (or if they also have a setting that has been checked in Settings to allow FaceTime Audio over cellular)
- If both checks are positive, FaceTime Audio call is initiated. If either of the checks fail, the call defaults to via carrier.

This would provide a seamless experience, and get consumers to truly appreciate the HD quality FaceTime audio requires, whilst simultaneously raising a middle finger to cellular carriers.

Last edited:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Sorry, but Apple promised it would be an open standard and would become available on other platforms, whether it's cost effective or not - that is the reality. Saying there is no prospect, saying Apple doesn't have the kind of business model... ignores the original and very clearly stated promise that it would be available. Add to that, that the entire worth of the platform for those who already have an Apple device, is that it increases the worth of those Apple devices immediately if people can message and call others who don't have Apple products (which is the majority of the world).

This needs to become what they originally promised, an open standard.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is great.

I think the next evolution in FaceTime audio should be as follows:
- Caller initiates phone call
- Caller's phone checks to see if it's on Wi-Fi (or if a setting has been checked in Settings to allow FaceTime Audio over cellular)
- Caller's phone checks if recipients phone is on Wi-Fi (or if they also have a setting that has been checked in Settings to allow FaceTime Audio over cellular)
- If both checks are positive, FaceTime Audio call is initiated. If either of the checks fail, the call defaults to via carrier.

This would provide a seamless experience, and get consumers to truly appreciate the HD quality FaceTime audio requires, whilst simultaneously raising a middle finger to cellular carriers.
Yea, i wondered why it didn't already do this since iMessage already pretty much does this too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.