Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Or am I just that lazy to where I feel like waiting for my print to read is too much time?

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
Huh? Too much time? Mine unlocks once I put my finger on it.

Are you putting enough pressure so the reader can see your print a first time?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
So, rather than press the home button and rest your finger there for an extra quarter of a second, you go through the extra motion of swiping... because you're lazy? That sounds like extra work and time spent.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I keep my phone in my pocket with the home button up. When I grab onto it, I press the home button and keep my thumb there. By the time it's out of my pocket and I can see the screen, it's usually unlocked and ready to use.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Some people don't bother to go through the learning curve and don't realize how much faster it is so they're still using swipe to unlock. There have been a few times when I intended to show people the photo on my lock screen and it unlocks anyway.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
I admit I do have one serious qualm with the thumbprint unlock: if you want to do anything off of the homescreen (like go to an email or IM) then you still have to use the passcode. Fingerprint off and if, for example, there's a skype IM notification on my lockscreen I can swipe it and go straight to the message.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I admit I do have one serious qualm with the thumbprint unlock: if you want to do anything off of the homescreen (like go to an email or IM) then you still have to use the passcode. Fingerprint off and if, for example, there's a skype IM notification on my lockscreen I can swipe it and go straight to the message.

OP here.. this is also my main annoyance. And also those instances where sometimes it doesn't read your first fingerprint attempt... and then maybe a 2nd.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009

Not true at all... just swipe the desired alert and then use the fingerprint scanner. It will still take you to the appropriate app without typing any password.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Well,
I own
x1 iPhone 5c
x2 iPhone 4S
x1 iPad 2
x3 iPod touch 4g
x1 iPod touch 2g
x1 iPhone 4
x1 iPod nano 7g

I just swipe to unlock...
they all have home buttons and guess what...I don't use the finger print scanners at all...
So yes I guess I am just too lazy to use it...

Jk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.