Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JC1520

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
I want to record a program for a radio station I want to use a studio mixer that will take a mic and use my music from my iTunes

But I also want to record the out put on my mac or another pc

What is the best solution for me do I need an external mixer Or is there software product that will let me do that.

I have a USB mic that I use for podcasting.

I would like to use something like virtual dj because I can see my entire library but I cannot use my mic and decks simultaneously any ideas

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What is the best solution for me do I need an external mixer Or is there software product that will let me do that...

No external mixer. that is the last think you'd want to use. Mix the sound inside Garage Band. Garage Band was made just for this kind of thing.

Be sure and checkout the legal issues with iTunes and broadcast radio. At least ask the people at the station about royally payments for the music.

The way I like to do it is first write out some speaking notes, then record audio. I just leave the recorder going and if I need to make a second or third take I go a loud hand clap then wait a few seconds that start over. The reason for the hand clap is that it shows visually on the audio waveform display so I can SEE where a new section begins

Than because I'm really bad at speaking I edit out all the places were I pause or say something stupid like "yah, like ah,.."You have to cut right at the perfect, exact place or it sounds fake

One I make the vocal track from all the best part of all the takes then I add the rest. It sounds hard but the only art that takes a long time is listening to my recorded voice over and over to find the best parts. A use paper and pencil.

Aftr you do this once you find there is a better way to speak so that it can be cutup

A walk-in closet with clothing hug on three walls makes a good recording booth. Leave the computer and it's noisy fan and hard disk outside and far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.