Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

varatep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Going to get a mid model 13 rMBP and going to be running bootcamp on it. Wondering if WD Passport can do all of these at the same time:
-store back up / time machine for os x mavericks
-store files/data from os x mavericks
-store files/data from win8.1

I read online somewhere that I'd need to format WD Passport to be compatible with WINDOWS, so I'm hesitant on how my future set up would be.

If WD Passport can't accomplish this, are there any other externals out there well suited for the rMBP that CAN?

varatep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
so it is not possible to backup my os x data at the same time as being able to store files into the passport from my windows 8.1 bootcamped?

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
so it is not possible to backup my os x data at the same time as being able to store files into the passport from my windows 8.1 bootcamped?

You'll need at least one HFS+ partition, and one NTFS or exFAT partition. exFAT works both with Windows and OS X, but like priitv8 said, Time Machine only supports HFS+. With the Boot Camp drivers Windows can only read HFS+ partitions, but not write to them, and OS X can only read NTFS partitions. The post priitv8 linked to also contains some tools to enable NTFS write support in OS X, and HFS+ support in Windows.

So you could create an HFS+ partition, that would be only used by Time Machine, and then an exFAT partition that can be accessed both from Windows and OS X.

Fully backing up OS X with Time Machine will still require you to boot to OS X, and the same mostly goes for Windows. There is a way to backup the Windows partition from OS X, but it's not free: Winclone. If you have a backup solution in Windows, it might also be able to backup files from the HFS+ partition, but it can't make a full backup of the whole system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.