Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OJCDEV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Hi there,

The iPhone 5s battery is of higher capacity. If i put one in my iPhone 5 will i get longer battery life with no side effects?

Thanks in advance.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
That's a bad question because you can't just simply put a bigger battery on a older phone that has different locations of the ports and sizes... It's common sense for apple products.

OJCDEV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
That's a bad question because you can't just simply put a bigger battery on a older phone that has different locations of the ports and sizes... It's common sense for apple products.

Lets say that it fits in the iPhone 5. Would it work?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Lets say that it fits in the iPhone 5. Would it work?

Well of course it would. It provides power at 3.7v just like every other single-cell lithium ion battery (it has 3.8v printed on it but that's just because it's only two significant figures). The reason it wouldn't work is because the ports and fitment are different.

OJCDEV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2013
Well of course it would. It provides power at 3.7v just like every other single-cell lithium ion battery (it has 3.8v printed on it but that's just because it's only two significant figures). The reason it wouldn't work is because the ports and fitment are different.

Ok thanks.

how do you know that it won't fit?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Go to ifixit.com and look at them.

Nothing fundamental has changed about battery capabilities/design between the 5 and 5s. The difference in capacity is almost entirely due to the difference in physical dimensions.

These things are like jigsaw puzzles - you can't change the size/shape of one puzzle piece without changing every puzzle piece surrounding it. You'll see that other key modules in the 5s have changed size and shape, ultimately making more space for a larger battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.