Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Check this out:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/179463?baseline=283619

Many of the single core benchmarks are 50% (!!!) slower on the official MacPro6,1 release than the earlier version (see different BIOS) codenamed AAPLJ90,1.

However, the multi-core benchmarks are slightly better.

Anyone want to take a stab at explaining this?

----------

It looks kinda like turbo isn't working

Something was probably amiss when the single core process was running. Frankly the system could have been doing something at the same time, hitting the same core and driven the results down. Just doing some basic math, there is no way that a single process could only score 2700 and somehow 6 cores would do almost 8 times the work at 20200 right? It takes several runs of any benchmarking tool before you get consistent results.

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Something was probably amiss when the single core process was running. Frankly the system could have been doing something at the same time, hitting the same core and driven the results down. Just doing some basic math, there is no way that a single process could only score 2700 and somehow 6 cores would do almost 8 times the work at 20200 right? It takes several runs of any benchmarking tool before you get consistent results.

There are several runs showing exactly the same thing. Just search for 1650 v2 and you'll find them.

There are also several other runs with a different BIOS that show a single score of around 3300, and a multi score of around 18000. Go figure.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Some of the results shown are definitely hacks. Small differences can be picked up in the data reported to different fields, such as the OS version, motherboard ID, memory speed, etc.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
There are several runs showing exactly the same thing. Just search for 1650 v2 and you'll find them.

There are also several other runs with a different BIOS that show a single score of around 3300, and a multi score of around 18000. Go figure.

I know that Apple released an updated firmware already. It's possible that under one they throttle the single core output to maximize multi-core.... Pure conjecture on my part. It's still too early to take look at these numbers as anything more than a basic benchmark. The Mac Pro isn't even in end users hands (only reviewers) at this point. Being a completely new computer, there are still many software issues to work out between now and January 1.....

clamnectar

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Some of the results shown are definitely hacks. Small differences can be picked up in the data reported to different fields, such as the OS version, motherboard ID, memory speed, etc.

That's not a hack. The motherboard and BIOS both say Apple, and reflect what you'd expect.

Ohhhh I just noticed… it was run on 10.9.2. Test build of the OS. That makes sense now.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Crappy thermal paste application if it's not faked. Perhaps the staff in the states constructing it should visit artic silvers website and learn about it!

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Crappy thermal paste application if it's not faked. Perhaps the staff in the states constructing it should visit artic silvers website and learn about it!

Geekbench has no thermal impact to turbo boost in any way. It's a sprint. You need a marathon.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Geekbench has no thermal impact to turbo boost in any way. It's a sprint. You need a marathon.

I've seen rubbish paste application do the same on MBP's far too often. There was a chap who had two almost identical MBP on that forum who couldn't explain why the late 2011 was slower than the early a week or two ago. Turns out one of his fans in the late 2011 had fluff in it. Imagine its rubbish over the one core that is running turbo goes high for a second or two then scales back the overclock.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I've seen rubbish paste application do the same on MBP's far too often. Imagine its rubbish over the one core that is running turbo goes high for a second or two then scales back the overclock.

I suppose when it comes to this sort of thing anything is possible. My mind tends to think in binary by default :)

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
I suppose when it comes to this sort of thing anything is possible. My mind tends to think in binary by default :)

When it comes to applying thermal paste both the manufacturers and the 'genius' frankly do not have a bloody clue applying it to Apple products.

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC

MattDSLR

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2011
Canada
You will have to wait and see when the early adopters will start to post their benchmarks then we will be able to see it
For now people are still working with preproduction units

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.