Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
I read something related to this, but cant find it...
What is the cause, and solution?

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Hold home + power till phone shuts off then let fo of the home button and keep holding the power until the apple logo appears. You have just reset your phone.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
It's an iMystery.

No I believe all handsets on all operating systems do this as charging a battery to 100% isn't good for it in the long-run.

kjay80

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Hold home + power till phone shuts off then let fo of the home button and keep holding the power until the apple logo appears. You have just reset your phone.

No offense, but is this a legit?
seems like a hard reset then might reset to factory setting?

1DApple

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
It's an iMystery.

No I believe all handsets on all operating systems do this as charging a battery to 100% isn't good for it in the long-run.

Thats the biggest load of BS I think I've read on the internet to date.

----------

That is totally legit it's a well known hard reset.
Except you hold the power button and the home together until the apple logo appears.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark

Nothing wrong with that. It just restarts your iPhone, but is a hard reset/restart as opposed to the soft reset, where you hold down the lock button, and "slide to shut down", and then turn it on again.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

This is the exact reason why I turn off the % on my battery life. It makes me too paranoid. "Oh man, it dropped 2% in the last 15 minutes..."

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The battery indicator is not 100% accurate. If it won't charge past "98%" then it's likely at full charge - the iPhone battery system stops charging once the battery reaches full charge. You can try to reset the battery indicator to say 100% by letting the battery run down 'til "0," then fully recharge the battery (don't use the phone while it's recharging).

a "hard reset" is like rebooting a computer. Settings and the contents of memory are not affected. It's a fix for a variety of ills, though I can't say re-calibrating the battery indicator is likely to be one of them.

Battery indicators are approximate measures at best. They're useful for telling you when it's a good idea to recharge, but not very helpful at measuring how fast you'll run out of battery. Even a battery near the end of its life will charge to 100% - what changes is how long it lasts after being fully charged.

More important than worrying about what the indicator says is looking at how your iPhone uses power. All sorts of settings and usage patterns can affect battery life. There are probably a half-dozen things you can do (mostly by adjusting settings) to get way more than an extra 2% life out of the battery. http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
My launch Space Grey did this. It would never charge to 100% always between 99%-96% if I restarted the phone just by turning it off normally it would show 100%.

Decided to sell it and get a Sliver 5s it charged normally, always to 100%.
Unfortunately I had a problem with the screen clicking.

The replacement one is exhibiting the same tendency as the Space Grey I had.

All phones were restored in the same way. From an iCloud backup.

Can't say it bothers me too much, since I'm not seeing any repercussions to battery life.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

On my MacBook Pro (and I think my iPad), the device will only charge back to 100% once it gets below a certain percentage, I think 94%, to prevent unnecessary wear on the battery. Run your phone down to 90% or so and then charge it back up. See if it hits 100%.

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
My replacement phone did this yesterday and I am now letting the battery drain. My went up to 99% I restarted the phone then it showed 100% the battery lasted 7+ used hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.