Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h3isenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Hello everyone, how are you?

Well, I bought this phone a few days ago off someone and it was in brand new condition. Charger never unwrapped and everything looking shiny. Today, I got out of the car and my dog jumped after me smacking the phone from the car seat onto the concrete! Few dents on the top corners of the shell and the bottom right part of the screen is cracked.

I want to get it repaired but am not certain on what the next step is. Since I do not have a receipt or anything after buying it off the person, should I even bother visiting an apple store? I know all phones come with a one-year warranty but I'm sure they'll ask for some documentation? Next, there is the actual screen replacement that can be done. Most people around here want a lot of money to do it so I was thinking to do it on my own by buying the kit off eBay. However, I am not sure what to buy. Some people say I need some digitizer? Some people say just the glass part? Some say that for the iPhone 5C, the glass is fused with the LCD and both need to be replaced? Could anyone please help me out? I would appreciate it greatly so I know what to do next.

The screen displays fine and the touch screen works.

Thank you to one and all, really!!

Cheers.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
All phones come with 1 year manufacturer defect warranty. You don't need any documentation. The warranty follows the phone, not the owner.
But it doesn't mean you break the phone and they fix it for free. Call and ask Apple how much they charge to replace the screen. Other 3rd party shops might do it also for cheaper. If you do it yourself you need the whole screen that is fused together in one piece. Its always been like that, not just for the 5C.
Next time get a good case for it or a little accident like this can cost hundreds of dollars.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

Well, I bought this phone a few days ago off someone and it was in brand new condition. Charger never unwrapped and everything looking shiny. Today, I got out of the car and my dog jumped after me smacking the phone from the car seat onto the concrete! Few dents on the top corners of the shell and the bottom right part of the screen is cracked.

I want to get it repaired but am not certain on what the next step is. Since I do not have a receipt or anything after buying it off the person, should I even bother visiting an apple store? I know all phones come with a one-year warranty but I'm sure they'll ask for some documentation? Next, there is the actual screen replacement that can be done. Most people around here want a lot of money to do it so I was thinking to do it on my own by buying the kit off eBay. However, I am not sure what to buy. Some people say I need some digitizer? Some people say just the glass part? Some say that for the iPhone 5C, the glass is fused with the LCD and both need to be replaced? Could anyone please help me out? I would appreciate it greatly so I know what to do next.

Cheers.

I can't really speak as to how the apple store will treat it. It will be fairly pricey to replace there.

How comfortable are you with your technical skills? If its anything like the 4s, replacing the screen is one of the last pieces in disassembly, with lots of other little parts. I would be sure you are comfortable with taking it apart yourself.

EDIT- Do note that you or anyone besides apple (or an authorized workshop) working on it will void your warranty.

h3isenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
All phones come with 1 year manufacturer defect warranty. You don't need any documentation. The warranty follows the phone, not the owner.
But it doesn't mean you break the phone and they fix it for free. Call and ask Apple how much they charge to replace the screen. Other 3rd party shops might do it also for cheaper. If you do it yourself you need the whole screen that is fused together in one piece. Its always been like that, not just for the 5C.
Next time get a good case for it or a little accident like this can cost hundreds of dollars.

The thing is, I ordered a case the first day I came home with the phone (3 days ago) and what do you know? It happened unfortunately!

Not sure if Apple will ask me for that Apple Care stuff or? I will have to call them and see what they say for the price. Has this happened to you before...or anyone else?

----------

I can't really speak as to how the apple store will treat it. It will be fairly pricey to replace there.

How comfortable are you with your technical skills? If its anything like the 4s, replacing the screen is one of the last pieces in disassembly, with lots of other little parts. I would be sure you are comfortable with taking it apart yourself.

EDIT- Do note that you or anyone besides apple (or an authorized workshop) working on it will void your warranty.

I'm usually good with stuff like that. However, I've never taken an iPhone apart so I have no clue what I'm expecting to see. Maybe a little YouTube will help out? Yes, I'd like to see what Apple says. If they can do it and it is not as expensive, how long does the process take?

Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The thing is, I ordered a case the first day I came home with the phone (3 days ago) and what do you know? It happened unfortunately!

Not sure if Apple will ask me for that Apple Care stuff or? I will have to call them and see what they say for the price. Has this happened to you before...or anyone else?

----------

I hear you, bad luck.
No need for any paper work. All apple would need is to go in settings in order to get the serial number.
I think they charge $150 for the screen replacement but not 100%.
I'd call and ask first.

h3isenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
I hear you, bad luck.
No need for any paper work. All apple would need is to go in settings in order to get the serial number.
I think they charge $150 for the screen replacement but not 100%.
I'd call and ask first.

Will do that. Thank you for the help.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
For a little more money, see if Apple will swap out the iPhone entirely--since you also mentioned dents. Might as well start over new.

h3isenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2013
Since the phone is under two weeks old, I decided to call Apple and see what the can do.

They are offering me a replacement phone. However, they want $260 for it. That's absurd. It was the only option they gave me. I guess I'll just order a screen and get it repaired.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
Go to an Apple Store and get it replaced or if you want a non-genuine screen get it done for cheap down a back-alley or order one off eBay? :confused: The warranty and AppleCare have nothing to do with it, so it's entirely irrelevant.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Wow. $260 is not bad though. You'll be getting a brand new one right? That's not bad considering the phone is $450-$650 new.

However, I'd never be comfortable doing the repair myself on this phone. Not with the way it's set up internally.

Not Quite Right

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2013
Since the phone is under two weeks old, I decided to call Apple and see what the can do.

They are offering me a replacement phone. However, they want $260 for it. That's absurd. It was the only option they gave me. I guess I'll just order a screen and get it repaired.

That's about $400 dollars off a new one. What's absurd is you thinking that's absurd ... Apple is not responsible for you breaking your phone. Most companies wouldn't even do that for you. Try calling Samsung with your sob-story, and see how far you get with them. Sometimes we're all forced to suck it up and pay the price for our actions.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
That's about $400 dollars off a new one. What's absurd is you thinking that's absurd ... Apple is not responsible for you breaking your phone. Most companies wouldn't even do that for you. Try calling Samsung with your sob-story, and see how far you get with them. Sometimes we're all forced to suck it up and pay the price for our actions.

That is definitely true. I thought the same thing. If I borked my android without insurance, I'd be getting stuck with one heck of a bill and likely not even a new one.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

What does it mean its under 2 weeks old and how is it absurd? You can break it before 2 weeks and they're supposed to give you another one for free?
Take responsibility for your actions and pay for your mistakes. Fix the screen and next time have a good case on.

fredylee

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
I dropped my iPhone 4S few years back when it was still new. Brought it to apple store expecting to pay a huge bill for the repair. They ending up giving me a replacement for free even though I told them it was my fault that it drop face down on a concrete. Road. Lesson learn is - be ready to man up n pay for what was your fault. And it does not hurt that to have the luck to meet a nice rep at the store.

I am not the only person. Heard it happened to other people as well.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
If it were a Samsung, it wouldn't be too small to keep track of. ;)

Yeah but the bigger they are, the harder they fall. I think the lesson here is just simply that any device can get broken, You have to take credibility.

I'm also amazed that Apple would offer low cost or even free replacement units for non-manufacturer defect issues. I love my Samsung phones too but I had no idea Apple was that considerate of their consumers.

I feel even more comfortable with my first iPhone now. I used to be an Apple basher but I decided to stop being so close minded. I'm glad I did!

Sceptre

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
I think the lesson here is just simply that any device can get broken, You have to take credibility.

You mean "accountability" , (but that was close). ;)

The funny thing is, every time someone drops a phone, all of a sudden it becomes an "it".

It fell off the table,
it fell in the toilet,
it jumped out of my pocket,

lol - some people crack me up :D

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
The iphone 5 S & C screens are $100+ OEM. You need the tools and time to potentially mess up your phone.

My Apple bill came out to 164.00 with taxes, and it only took 45 minutes to replace my screen.

Insurance wanted $200 for a new phone, and I don't have Apple Care+.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I fix phones for a living, this repair is not very difficult, but chances are if you haven't done it before you make have a hard time getting the new screen to sit back in without cracking it and you'll end up wasting more money.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Cheers.

Make sure you don't already have Applecare + ( as it covers drop damage, liquid spills, etc) because it might pay for that instead of you shelling out out of pocket.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Cheers.

Can we get a picture of it? I'm just wondering what it looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.