Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adam1988

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have been reading alot of articles and actually trying my best and doing researches about or how to actually unlock an iphone 5 from the carrier sprint and i am trying to unlock it but does it have to be through a jailbreak or not? I am in ios 6.1.4 but my goal is to actually unlock it and use it with another carrier. In other words uncrypt it and use it with tmobile or maybe outside of usa like mexico as an example with Telcel..(carrier)
Is there a method? Do i have to purchase anything? If i have to purchase it. I do not mind As long as it works and thank you so much EVERYONE! For the Help! :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are no legitimate third party unlocks. An unlock is a separate thing from jailbreaking and can be done without having to be jailbroken. That said, you cannot jailbreak your iPhone 5 as 6.1.2 is the last jailbreakable version for iOS 6. And no, you can't downgrade either. It doesn't work that way.

Requirements for a Sprint unlock.

- You must be a Sprint customer with an active account and the phone must be activated on Sprint
- You must pay your bill on time and in full for a minimum of 90 days.

If you meet those requirements you can call Sprint and ask them to unlock your iPhone for international use.

Sprint will unlock only for international use. It is not their policy to unlock for domestic US carriers and they will refuse all requests to do so. And as I said there is no legitimate third party unlock.

Sprint has all the IMEI/ESNs of the iPhones they bought from Apple barred from being placed in to the domestic unlock database.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now that the iOS 7 jailbreak has been released is there a way to unlock a bad esn Sprint iPhone 5?

Thank you
There is NO way to unlock a Sprint iPhone for domestic use. You can beg and plead in person to Dan Hesse himself and the answer will still be NO.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I've seen some people talk about the unlock SIM card tray, I'm not too familiar with it. Basically it's a 3rd party device and you download jail broken software, I have no idea if it works. I ended up just gazelling my sprint iPhone 5 and taking advantage of tmobiles 0 down promotion.

oscargeo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
unlocked iphones on ebay

I see unlocked iphones on ebay. Besides checking the IMEI # to make sure it is not stolen, what else do I need to check. I would like to use the phone w/o data plan and just use wi-fi when i need internet.
Also is this the way to post a question or do i need to start a thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.