Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a report last month stating that Apple supplier Quanta Computer had landed the contract to mass-produce a larger-sized iPad for late 2014, Digitimes is reporting that the 12.9-inch tablet will be released in October 2014 and will target North America's educational market. Apple is also said to be examining the possibility of replacing the 11-inch MacBook Air with the larger iPad.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg
12.9-inch iPad (left) with 13-inch MacBook Air (right)
Apple's large-size tablet will be manufactured by Quanta Computer, and was originally expected to adopt either 12.9- or 13.3-inch panels, with recent rumors indicating that 12.9-inch has a better chance to be picked, the sources noted.
The report also states that Apple is planning to release a larger size iPhone in May 2014, using a 20nm processor manufactured by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Reports of a next-generation iPhone featuring a larger screen have surfaced occasionally throughout the past year, while the claim of an A8 processor made by TSMC is follows a report in June stating that the company had struck a three-year deal with Apple to produce A-series chips starting in 2014.

However, a May 2014 release date for the next iPhone would be somewhat of a surprising move by Apple, considering that the most recent reports have stated that the larger-screened iPhone will debut in late 2014. A release then would be in line with the October 2011 launch of the iPhone 4s, the September 2012 launch of the iPhone 5, and the September 2013 launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c.

A report last month from The Korea Times indicated that production of a 12.9-inch Retina Display to be used in a next-generation iPad was already underway at an Apple supplier in Korea, with a target date of early 2014. The larger tablet is also said to carry an improved display nearing ultra high-definition (UHD) quality, which would be significantly bigger and contain more pixels than Apple's current 9.7-inch iPad Air.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Launching Larger iPad in October 2014, Larger iPhone in May 2014

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
If i added up all the "bigger" rumors, i would have my apple TV.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012
Apple is also said to be examining the possibility of replacing the 11-inch MacBook Air with the larger iPad.

Don't know about Jobs, but I wouldn't allow this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll be looking forward to a larger iPhone - can't wait but being we're still in December I'll have to chill

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Im happy with the current size of the iphone 5S. But i'd be lying if I said I wasnt really excited to see what an iphone with a bigger (wider) screen will look like. Bring it on.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
1. The sources for this rumour are wrong.
2. Apple will make this and is 100% wrong in doing so as too many SKUs are very bad for Apple as proved in the 90's.

Those are the only two options here. And in either case someone is wrong.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
May!?! darn, I just got the 5s, oh well gotta start saving up again then I assume.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
If they don't release an iPhone with a larger screen this year I'll be jumping ship.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It's easy to guess. I wonder why all these publications never bother to acknowledge they are wrong when their guesses are wrong.

----------

If they don't release an iPhone with a larger screen this year I'll be jumping ship.

Why wait if the larger screen is so important to you ?

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I would be interested in the bigger iPad if it had true multitasking - opening two apps at the same time, side by side.

I can think of few things more ridiculous than having a very large iPad using the exact same iOS as the iPhone, though (such as seen on the folders of the iPad under iOS 7). I don't want an iPad with the Mac operating system, but iOS needs many tweaks to fit better with a big iPad.

Diesel79

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
UK
It's easy to guess. I wonder why all these publications never bother to acknowledge they are wrong when their guesses are wrong.

----------

Why wait if the larger screen is so important to you ?

Because I love Apple products. I have an iPhone 5s, iPad air, iMac and a mac mini. I love the Apple ecosystem. But I really do think it's about time they release an iPhone with a larger screen.

Ideally I don't want to have to use Android just to get a larger screen. I want to use iOS on say a 4.5" screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.