Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Berlin Apple Retail Store Smashed by Car, Display Merchandise Stolen

An Apple Retail Store located in Kurfürstendamm, Berlin was the site of a smash-and-grab robbery earlier this morning, reports Bild.de [Google Translate]. At 4:15 AM, thieves reportedly crashed an Opel Corsa supermini automobile into the store and proceeded to steal display iPhones, iPads, and computers before fleeing in two Audis.

The report also notes that there have been seven such robberies in Berlin as of late, including a heist at the Alexa shopping mall located in Alexanderplatz, Berlin where theives made off with over 100,000 euros worth of goods.

With Apple gadgets fetching a high price on the secondary market, thefts of individual devices in muggings are common. However, organized robberies on Apple Retail Stores are usually uncommon.

The smash-and-grab robbery on the Kurfürstendamm Apple Store is also similar to the robbery that took place at Apple's Promenade Temecula retail store in Temecula, California last year, where robbers also used a car to obliterate the entire front glass and security grating of the store before making off with merchandise. It is likely that the Kurfürstendamm store will close for cleanup and repair for a short while before opening to the public again.

Article Link: Berlin Apple Retail Store Smashed by Car, Display Merchandise Stolen
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
4nc3st0r
macrumors newbie

Hope they get away with it. Sure is worth some, good luck guys.
4nc3st0r is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:45 AM   #3
I like bananas
macrumors member

I wonder if anyone would ever crash their car into, and steal a bunch of stuff from, a Microsoft Store...
I like bananas is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Fondaparinux
macrumors member

You don't see that happening on Samsung stores.

Apparently, Samsung products aren't wanted enough.
Fondaparinux is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:57 AM   #5
please, no
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nc3st0r View Post
Yeah, good luck guys! Apple can easily locate every i-Gadget, when it goes online.
please, no is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:59 AM   #6
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like bananas View Post
I wonder if anyone would ever crash their car into, and steal a bunch of stuff from, a Microsoft Store...
Aren't they usually inside a mall? I've never seen a free standing MSFT store. I could be wrong though.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Gudi
macrumors 6502a

No, it's not worth much. They took about 20 items, among them iPods and iPads. [1]
The damage at the car and at the door may well be higher than that.
Gudi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:22 AM   #8
b0nd18t
macrumors newbie

If you're going to make all your buildings out of glass, you need cement pillars or this will always happen.
b0nd18t is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:23 AM   #9
scrmtrey
macrumors member

I am sure that opel corsa is not from any of the "thieves". They stole the car on the street for the job.

The two getaway car (audi) , are from transporter movie.
scrmtrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:34 AM   #10
The Doctor11
macrumors 65816

No! You don't do things like this to apple!!!

Last edited by 840quadra; Dec 23, 2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: removed response to deleted post
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:45 AM   #11
CoreForce
macrumors member

An Opel Corsa is not a supermini automobile!
At least not in Europe. It's just a very regular small car.
CoreForce is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:48 AM   #12
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

Isn't it pointless to steel from an apple store since they can remotely brick any device cataloged there?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:48 AM   #13
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nd18t View Post
If you're going to make all your buildings out of glass, you need cement pillars or this will always happen.
The building appears to be made out of concrete, although it does have those pesky openings where the customers go in and out.

Last edited by mw360; Dec 23, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
mw360 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:50 AM   #14
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Is this how Samsung is getting back at Apple now?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:54 AM   #15
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0nd18t View Post
It's always a business decision. Spend all your money finding all the ways to protect your building or buy insurance. Whichever is cheapest, companies use.

Like banks - Banks used to hire security guards to protect against bank robberies. But then robbers would bring in guns, injure and kill people, take $10,000. This also cost the banks money through lawsuits from customers and higher insurance premiums to pay for injured workers. So what do they do now? Simply install a security camera, and give anyone who walks in and hands the teller a note (no weapon need be shown) - $500.

It's cheaper this way, and there's a safer work environment. Employees know what to do. No crazy stuff happens anymore. It's easier for criminals, but eventually being on the security cameras enough, they'll be caught.

It's amazing, what seems so wrong at first, is the most logical route to go.
bbeagle is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:58 AM   #16
ardaburak
macrumors newbie

OH! That's always on my 'things to do in an event of catastrophe" list.
ardaburak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:13 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by please, no View Post
Yeah, good luck guys! Apple can easily locate every i-Gadget, when it goes online.
Which isn't actually helpful to Apple. The criminals steal the Apple products, then sell them to customers who don't know any better, then all Apple catches if they try tracking them down is the customer who bought it, not the criminal. The criminal, meanwhile, had a cash transaction and vanished afterwards. Bam. Done. Not catchable. There's other ways they could be caught, of course, but everything can be similarly avoided.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:14 AM   #18
praetorian909
macrumors regular

Been a while since I last heard about a smash & grab.

With iOS 7, couldn't Find my iPhone now render all of those iPhones/iPads useless?
praetorian909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:16 AM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 601

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
It's always a business decision. Spend all your money finding all the ways to protect your building or buy insurance. Whichever is cheapest, companies use.

Like banks - Banks used to hire security guards to protect against bank robberies. But then robbers would bring in guns, injure and kill people, take $10,000. This also cost the banks money through lawsuits from customers and higher insurance premiums to pay for injured workers. So what do they do now? Simply install a security camera, and give anyone who walks in and hands the teller a note (no weapon need be shown) - $500.

It's cheaper this way, and there's a safer work environment. Employees know what to do. No crazy stuff happens anymore. It's easier for criminals, but eventually being on the security cameras enough, they'll be caught.

It's amazing, what seems so wrong at first, is the most logical route to go.
Apple seems to have a particularly large issue with cars smashing through their glass. They should come up with a design that minimizes that risk... surely someone in the world has invented car-resistant glass?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:20 AM   #20
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Er what? Are you a thieving scumbag too then?
prowlmedia is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:31 AM   #21
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Why would you wish that? I'd really love to hear your arguments for that. They stole someone's car and smashed it up, which is a costly inconvenience just before Christmas. They caused huge damages, which will be paid from insurance that we all pay for. OK, going to jail is expensive, so what about if they get shot by the fence they are trying to sell the stuff to instead of getting paid.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Which isn't actually helpful to Apple. The criminals steal the Apple products, then sell them to customers who don't know any better, then all Apple catches if they try tracking them down is the customer who bought it, not the criminal. The criminal, meanwhile, had a cash transaction and vanished afterwards. Bam. Done. Not catchable. There's other ways they could be caught, of course, but everything can be similarly avoided.
If Apple _could_ find these devices and take them away from people who unwittingly bought them, that would actually quite quickly kill the market for such devices.
gnasher729 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:33 AM   #22
TXAppleUser
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
surely someone in the world has invented car-resistant glass?
Apple probably already has the patent... along with it's 10,000 other patents.
TXAppleUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:51 AM   #23
Nevaborn
macrumors 6502a

I don't care about the few ipads, iphones and old macs they got hold of. They will be locked down or tracked easily enough on reactivation. Also tbh Apple won't bother. All they got is some dirty, grimy display models that have been used hundreds of thousands of times.... Yay >.>

My first and only concern was that the building wasnt damaged by these idiots. Luckily it looks like they missed the surrounding brickwork of the door. The real treasure in Apple stores are
The beautiful stores themselves. A few display models won't be cared about.
Nevaborn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:07 AM   #24
stuartluff
macrumors regular

I like how you Americans call the Corsa a 'super-mini'. It's not a big car but its definitely not supermini. It seats four people without problems. Hehe.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:09 AM   #25
CFreymarc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
One of the biggest grey markets for Apple products is Russia and other Federation states. Bet good money, this is the intended resale market.
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion