Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Okay, let me clear this up first:

I'm very new to the iPhone (and Apple products in general), after years and years of suffering with my sh***y Sony Ericsson I decided to switch to iPhone, got a black iPhone 5s and I'm really liking it so far, iOS exceeded my expectations.

However, MANY features aren't available in my region (Siri, maps, facetime...etc) and I'm thinking of jailbreaking my device to get those.

I'm not a noob when it comes to technology, I flashed the **** out of my Android phone and installed numerous custom ROMs on it before.

So I'm not worried about bricking my phone or anything like that. :D

There are three major issues with the JB from what I've read on the internet:

1. The whole China and piracy thing, do you think it's safe to JB my iPhone 5s? I heard the pirated app store only installs to people who's main language is Chinese???? Many people are saying the JB "leaks" private data to Chinese govt and stuff, should I be worried about this? JB now or wait for the NSA-approved version? :rolleyes:

2. I have no idea what these terms mean, but apparently "Cydia" "mobilesubstrate" and "tweaks" aren't yet compatible with the JB, what does that mean? any solution?

3. And finally, the whole thing about iOS 7.1.
Apparently the developers were "racing" to JB iOS 7 first and released this one too early while iOS7.1 is still in beta, allowing Apple to patch the exploits up with the final release of iOS 7.1.

What a mess, should have waited for the official iOS 7.1 then release the JB instead of giving Apple the exploits. :)

But then again, most of us don't pay those people, they wanted the million dollars the Chinese promised so I don't blame them, I just wish it didn't come out so early...sigh >___>

Anyway, should I wait for iOS 7.1 and hope someone jailbreaks it? when is it coming out? and is it really that important? or just install this JB and ignore iOS 7.1?

Also, I heard that "geohots" guy is working on an open source JB for iOS 7, is it true?

Any alternative JB methods for iOS 7?

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I was going to jailbreak my 5S immediately upon reading that the jailbreak was available. I've been jailbreaking my successive iPhones for a few years without serious incidents, but I think my "success" was tied to the fact that the previous jailbreaks were well and properly sorted by the various players, and that when I "jailbroke," Cydia was working properly, and there were plenty of apps already available and easily updatable, and that the programmers of other apps were announcing upcoming availability.

This jailbreak, for now, seems fraught with problems, far more than I have seen here with the previous jailbreaks. :eek:

I'm going to wait at least a few more days or a week or so to see what shakes out. I actually use my iPhone as a phone, and need it to be working properly and not behaving "flakey."

RobertoG

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2013
An open source JB would mean that all evil hackers can make their own undetectable Evil JB. I would rather not live in that world.

There have been multiple JB's historically. I would wait for Redsn0w and use the time to restore the idevice to 7.0.4.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
There is nothing wrong with the JB. You will have to wait a while to get much benefit because
Cydia and most apps need to be updated. The app is not phoning home to China this is just sillyness. It was not developed by the Chinese it was developed by the same team that has given us many jailbreaks before. The only real difference is a different APP store for users in China.

Do not expect any additional Jailbreaks other than a RedSn0w Update.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
I jailbroke my 5s right away. I haven't even tried installing anything because I know pretty much nothing will work. The reason JB'd though is just in case Apple pushes out a 7.0.5 that fixes the vulnerability. I know this is probably very unlikely during the holidays, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
An open source JB would mean that all evil hackers can make their own undetectable Evil JB. I would rather not live in that world.

There have been multiple JB's historically. I would wait for Redsn0w and use the time to restore the idevice to 7.0.4.

Hm? What do you mean by restore to 7.0.4?

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I was going to jailbreak my 5S immediately upon reading that the jailbreak was available. I've been jailbreaking my successive iPhones for a few years without serious incidents, but I think my "success" was tied to the fact that the previous jailbreaks were well and properly sorted by the various players, and that when I "jailbroke," Cydia was working properly, and there were plenty of apps already available and easily updatable, and that the programmers of other apps were announcing upcoming availability.

This jailbreak, for now, seems fraught with problems, far more than I have seen here with the previous jailbreaks. :eek:

I'm going to wait at least a few more days or a week or so to see what shakes out. I actually use my iPhone as a phone, and need it to be working properly and not behaving "flakey."

can you enlighten all the people that you are scaring with the 'problems' this jailbreak has? or are you just another sheep?

this jailbreak is just fine, nothing wrong with it at all if installed properly. as for tweaks/apps...just have to be patient like every jailbreak launch. the devs have to catch up.

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
I jailbroke my 5s right away. I haven't even tried installing anything because I know pretty much nothing will work. The reason JB'd though is just in case Apple pushes out a 7.0.5 that fixes the vulnerability. I know this is probably very unlikely during the holidays, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Who cares if they do? You're on 7.0.4 at max?

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
can you enlighten all the people that you are scaring with the 'problems' this jailbreak has? or are you just another sheep?

this jailbreak is just fine, nothing wrong with it at all if installed properly. as for tweaks/apps...just have to be patient like every jailbreak launch. the devs have to catch up.

Suppose that app called "Cydia" for iOS 7 was released and I already Jailbroke my iPhone 5s, do I need to Jailbreak it AGAIN with a different/updated tool to get the new "Cydia"? or can I just update it from my iPhone directly?

And what about other "tweaks" and "mobilesubstrate"?

Orlandu

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2010
Suppose that app called "Cydia" for iOS 7 was released and I already Jailbroke my iPhone 5s, do I need to Jailbreak it AGAIN with a different/updated tool to get the new "Cydia"? or can I just update it from my iPhone directly?

All that has to be done is an updated package release by Saurik, which will update itself when you open Cydia after it's released. You shouldn't have to restore and re-jailbreak once Cydia and mobile substrate updates are released.

I have my iPhone 5 jailbroken and have not had any issues. Not everything is working, but the main one I use (Tetherme) is working just fine and is reason enough to jailbreak for me. There is a lot of armchair reporting and anecdotal evidence being bounced around as to why not jailbreak yet. But it really is up to you if you want to or not, just know that everything you want may not be working just yet and you'll have to be patient until updates to the jailbreak tweaks are released.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca

All that has to be done is an updated package release by Saurik, which will update itself when you open Cydia after it's released. You shouldn't have to restore and re-jailbreak once Cydia and mobile substrate updates are released.

I have my iPhone 5 jailbroken and have not had any issues. Not everything is working, but the main one I use (Tetherme) is working just fine and is reason enough to jailbreak for me. There is a lot of armchair reporting and anecdotal evidence being bounced around as to why not jailbreak yet. But it really is up to you if you want to or not, just know that everything you want may not be working just yet and you'll have to be patient until updates to the jailbreak tweaks are released.

which has happened every jailbreak. as long as you have cydia installed...you are good. ignore the drama with the china/piracy stuff and all is well.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
1. The whole China and piracy thing, do you think it's safe to JB my iPhone 5s? I heard the pirated app store only installs to people who's main language is Chinese???? Many people are saying the JB "leaks" private data to Chinese govt and stuff, should I be worried about this? JB now or wait for the NSA-approved version? :rolleyes:

2. I have no idea what these terms mean, but apparently "Cydia" "mobilesubstrate" and "tweaks" aren't yet compatible with the JB, what does that mean? any solution?

3. And finally, the whole thing about iOS 7.1.
Apparently the developers were "racing" to JB iOS 7 first and released this one too early while iOS7.1 is still in beta, allowing Apple to patch the exploits up with the final release of iOS 7.1.

1. It's fine, they have disabled the chinese app now, not that it was ever put on your phone if you didn't have chinese set as the language. Worth taking a look here: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/1tih0w/im_investigating_evasi0n7_for_myself/

2. This won't change with another jailbreak...its just going to take time. Better to wait for tweaks than being in the dark about the JB completely imo.

3. This is pretty lame, for now the best thing to do is install 7.1 beta with a dev account and remove the expiration. Who knows whether it will be fixed for 7.1, and if it is, whether they have any reserved exploits to get another JB out without harming possible iOS 8 JBs >.<

RobertoG

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2013
Hm? What do you mean by restore to 7.0.4?

I mean: if your iOS 7.0.4 is in your iPhone via over-the-air update, you will get the reboot loop or whatever problem. The only fix to that is to restore with iTunes, and that opportunity may be over if Apple decides to release 7.0.5 now.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I mean: if your iOS 7.0.4 is in your iPhone via over-the-air update, you will get the reboot loop or whatever problem. The only fix to that is to restore with iTunes, and that opportunity may be over if Apple decides to release 7.0.5 now.

Ok, thanks.

Netherscourge

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I've been jailbreaking my iOS devices for a long time.

Here's my advice:

1. Never Jailbreak on Day 1. Day 1 releases are basically public beta tests. Wait 1 week AT LEAST. Just update to the most recent OFFICIAL iOS version that is JB compatible (iOS 7.0.4) using iTUNES via USB, NOT USING OVER THE AIR UPDATE and sit tight for a stable, reliable JB version/patch.

2. Never Jailbreak until Saurik gives his "blessing" with Cydia on the latest Jailbreak. Cydia is pretty much your JB command center. If Cydia isn't 100% compatible with it yet, it's not worth the risk. And form what I hear, Saurik is just finding out about this latest JB not even 12 hours ago.

So, just sit tight and do not update your iOS beyond 7.0.4. Stay on 7.0.4 and wait for the JB installer AND Cydia to be patched and updated.

Wise Potato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I've been jailbreaking my iOS devices for a long time.

Here's my advice:

1. Never Jailbreak on Day 1. Day 1 releases are basically public beta tests. Wait 1 week AT LEAST. Just update to the most recent OFFICIAL iOS version that is JB compatible (iOS 7.0.4) using iTUNES via USB, NOT USING OVER THE AIR UPDATE and sit tight for a stable, reliable JB version/patch.

2. Never Jailbreak until Saurik gives his "blessing" with Cydia on the latest Jailbreak. Cydia is pretty much your JB command center. If Cydia isn't 100% compatible with it yet, it's not worth the risk. And form what I hear, Saurik is just finding out about this latest JB not even 12 hours ago.

So, just sit tight and do not update your iOS beyond 7.0.4. Stay on 7.0.4 and wait for the JB installer AND Cydia to be patched and updated.

Yeah I'll wait for a week or two since there is almost no point in Jailbreaking right now and most devs didn't catch up, thanks for the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.