Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
My apologies if this was clearly answered previously. I did not see anything discussing the same issue. I thought I've read similar topics previously, but in my recent searches, nothing of use was found.

Many devices (AppleTV for example) require you to use the same network to use the iOS device remote functionality. The trouble is that I am connected with a combo wired/wireless setup in my house. Is it possible to get all of these devices working together seamlessly so that I can combine them both but still have the devices show up as being on the same network and function as I'd like?

Current setup:

Modem plugs into Ethernet switch

Enternet switch connects to:
Wireless airport extreme
3 ethernet ports that carry into other rooms:
Various devices including desktop computer

In other rooms the various devices are: AppleTV, TV, DVD player, etc.

A big priority is to do this without slowing down the network.

By the way, the house is wired CAT6 and I'm not interested in going entirely wireless in the house.

To be clear, what I would like is for devices such as the AppleTV, Networked receivers, etc, they want you to be on the same wi-fi network to use the iOS remote function. I will have these devices hardwired and obviously the iOS device is using wi-fi.

Again, I've tried researching this online but I did not find anything helpful or definitive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the wired and wireless portions of your network are the same network. At least they should be. Think of the wireless as a 4th ethernet cable coming off your router.

on your iphone, go to the wireless network settings, hit the i next to the network you are connected to. get the IP address.

then on your mac, open terminal (in applications/utilities) type ping and that number. so "ping 192.168.0.#" or similar.

a bunch of lines that say "64 bytes from..." if you do that means your phone and computer can talk to each other.

---
one thing to look at, in your wireless router, check for a setting about "wireless association" that can keep your wireless devices from talking to each other, which is preferable in a public setting so the guy at the next table in the coffee shop can't see your computer.

----
also be sure you haven't been mucking around with any settings referring to VLANs.

---
and you don't want to be connected to the guest network if you have one, as they tend to be cut off from the rest of your network.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
the wired and wireless portions of your network are the same network. At least they should be. Think of the wireless as a 4th ethernet cable coming off your router.

They're not though.

Well, if his description is correct anyways.

The setup:
Modem plugs into Ethernet switch

Enternet switch connects to:
Wireless airport extreme
3 ethernet ports that carry into other rooms:
Various devices including desktop computer
So the modem goes into an Ethernet switch which branches off into the Airport for wireless connectivity and three separate ports that go off to other devices. The switch routes the other devices to the modem which will handle them as a network and the Airport serves the wireless devices which serves them as a separate network. Although the IP addresses may be similar or the same, they’re accessing the internet via two different devices. The Airport would have to be set up as just a wireless access point to the modem and would essentially serve as a dummy that the wireless devices connect to.

rhp2424

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Between family obligations and work, it took longer than expected to get to work with this to full success.

I also received (during this holding pattern) a modem with a built-in wireless router. After doing some testing, it appears starting from the modem and going out to the switch and using the wireless built into the modem allows direct connection.

I'm still trying to not need the wireless router built into the modem, and hopefully this weekend I can test that route. The reasoning is complicated, but trust me, I'd just rather go with my previous wireless options.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.