Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AsgeirG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hi, i have installed windows 7 on 13" macbook pro retina. And i checked how much space it had and it shows "4GB out of 18GB"???

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
What I recommend you do is install Windows 7 via bootcamp and make a partition. Then download the drivers from Apple to use the gestures in Windows 7. Just a heads up that the battery life drops about 1 hour since it constantly runs the discrete GPU.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
32 bit versions of Windows can only see 4 GB. Somewhere on Apple's site you can find out which versions of Windows can be installed on whatever version of OSX you're using. Mavericks requires 64 bit Win 7.

edit: Ooops, maybe you were talking about disk space, not RAM. Well, Windows does use up space, and it also (by default) makes a fixed size swap file the same size as your RAM. You can turn that off in control panel, memory management somewhere or other if you think you have enough RAM.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Uhm, no idea. I just did exactly as on youtube.

You mean you followed a tutorial on youtube? if so can you link so we know what you are talking about? It will help us immensely. Base install of Windows7 is about 20GB, so I don't think you are talking about the partition size..

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Then download the drivers from Apple to use the gestures in Windows 7. Just a heads up that the battery life drops about 1 hour since it constantly runs the discrete GPU.

Trackpad gestures don't work in Windows, at least not with the drivers Apple supplies. Also, the battery drain is more on the order of 50% or more because of the discreet GPU. However, this is less of an issue in the OP's case, as there are no 13-inch Macbooks with a dGPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.