Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
So I'm looking to get a waterproof case for my iPhone 5. Nothing too serious, just the usual 6 foot(ish) depth rating.

I've been looking at forums (here specifically) and review sites and cannot see a clear winner. What the reviewers like real world users seem to have issues with. People seem to get one case only to swap it for another.

So can anyone give a definitive answer? And also WHY? These are the cases I am looking at.

Incipio Atlas
Lifeproof Fre
Lifeproof Nuud
Griffin & Catalyst

Thanks

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
So I'm looking to get a waterproof case for my iPhone 5. Nothing too serious, just the usual 6 foot(ish) depth rating.

I've been looking at forums (here specifically) and review sites and cannot see a clear winner. What the reviewers like real world users seem to have issues with. People seem to get one case only to swap it for another.

So can anyone give a definitive answer? And also WHY? These are the cases I am looking at.

Incipio Atlas
Lifeproof Fre
Lifeproof Nuud
Griffin & Catalyst

Thanks

There are threads on these cases on the first page of this forum. :rolleyes:

Oh, and none of them are waterproof to '6 foot(ish)'.

Coxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
There are threads on these cases on the first page of this forum. :rolleyes:

Oh, and none of them are waterproof to '6 foot(ish)'.

Thanks for your useless post.:rolleyes:

The threads that you refer to have 10s of pages of posts related to all aspects and take an age to read through. The people who have tested various cases could quite easily chip into here to give their overall opinion.

As for your other useless comment.

Atlas - 6.6 foot
Lifeproof Fre - 6.6 foot
Lifeproof Nuud - 6.6 foot
Griffin & Catalyst - 10 foot

Bravo
clap-clap-clap-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2242.gif

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks for your useless post.:rolleyes:

The threads that you refer to have 10s of pages of posts related to all aspects and take an age to read through. The people who have tested various cases could quite easily chip into here to give their overall opinion.

As for your other useless comment.

Atlas - 6.6 foot
Lifeproof Fre - 6.6 foot
Lifeproof Nuud - 6.6 foot
Griffin & Catalyst - 10 foot

I agree - Reading is hard as is actually defining the useless term '6 foot(ish)'.

rev98

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
I have learned that when it comes to stuff like this (phone cases) there will never be a clear winner. Everyone's wants and needs are so different. For me, I just don't like the built in screen protectors so the LP Nuud wins for me.

Sometimes it really does help to just read the threads that already exist.

gtelware

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
I heard that now a days this iphone cases are designed in such a way that helps to stop radiations of the phone that emits by cell which is harmful for human bodies. So i suggest you to go with this type of case that are waterp proof as well as radiation proof.

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
I've tried a bunch of these waterproof cases and here's how I rank them. I have also included the pros and cons from my actual time owning and using the cases :

1. Incipio Atlas
Pros: Not that bulky, glass screen protector, no pillow effect, responsive buttons, 1-year phone/case replacement in case of accidental water damage, touch sensitivity and accuracy not affected

Cons: Not a lot of grip (slippery like a Otterbox Commuter), earpiece volume slightly soft, speaker volume slightly muffled, difficult to take case apart when wanting to remove phone from case, lack of additional accessories available for purchase

2. Otterbox Armor
Pros: Solid build, clear earpiece audio, speaker audio clear, screen protected with similar protector as Otterbox Defender (slight pillow effect), easy to remove phone from case, slot for a lanyard or wrist strap, great customer service from Otterbox, holster available for purchase

Cons: Bulky, heavy, screen prone to minor scratches (just like the Otterbox Defender), port covers may be difficult for some to remove

3. Lifeproof Fre
Pros: Not bulky, light, responsive buttons, separate port covers for headphone and lightning connector, additional accessories available for purchase, lanyard or wrist strap slot, slightly more grip than Incipio Atlas, easy to remove phone from case, 1-year phone/case replacement in case of accidental water damage, replacement o-rings can be purchased directly from LifeProof

Cons: Screen protector isn't the greatest, pillow effect, touchscreen sensitivity is s what compromised, muffled audio from speaker, many revisions of the case means there is no guarantee that you will get the latest version at your local retail store or online store, earpiece clarity slightly compromised, o-ring wears out after multiple times of installing and uninstalling phone for case

4. Seidio OBEX
Pros: Extremely light, easy to remove phone from case, touch sensitivity not compromised, no pillow effect on screen due to dots on inside of screen protector, audio is perfectly clear on earpiece and speakerphone, holster available for purchase

Cons: Not a good case to take phone to take in and out of case periodically (may be limited to less than a handful of times removing phone from case), dots from screen protector fall off after a certain amount of time (which means oil slicks will happen), very flimsy mute button cover, not the most durable case due to it being very thin

**I haven't tried Griffin's new case or the Lifeproof Nuud. I'll give the Nuud case a try whenever my Atlas case needs to be replaced (from normal wear and tear).

Last edited:

ben1290

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Better Waterproof Cases cheap

Hi guys I have found this really good case from OveBoard Waterproof and I have had it on my phone for a month and it is excellent as I can go swimming with it and take underwater pictures. It really is as good as Lifeproof cases but has an amazing price tag for as little as $15. If you want to check it out visit

https://www.oveboard.com

ngocnguyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I imagine iPhone6 will be waterproof like Samsung S4 Activ and Sony Xperia..then what need will be waterproof cases?

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I imagine iPhone6 will be waterproof like Samsung S4 Activ and Sony Xperia..then what need will be waterproof cases?

That won't happen unless apple can find a way to make it look sleek and be waterproof. Plus that would eliminate a huge market for cases and I am sure apple makes their phones how they are so that people buy cases for their phones. Heres to hoping the iPhone 6 is waterproof, shatterproof, and scratch proof, all in the nice slim shell we have come to expect from apple :D:D

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Tried them all except the Preserver and I choose the Lifeproof Nuud. Excellent case and they had a sweet deal on black friday with 75% off all accessories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.