Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azchandler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hey guys, I'm going to be traveling a good deal soon and I'm in the process of ripping a bunch of my DVD's into my iTunes so I can watch them on my iPad.

So while ripping with handbrake I noticed if I leave out the AC3 passthru track I can save roughly 300MB per movie, which is great so I can cram more movies on my iPad.

My questions is, what do I lose by cutting that AC3 passthru? I believe all that is for is if I was playing the ripped movie on my Apple TV or something with 6.1 sound, right?

Am I correct in thinking I won't notice any difference without the AC3 passthru track when watching on my iPad or with iTunes on my computer?
The iPad and iTunes only utilize the ACC (CoreAudio), right?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You are correct. The only time you would notice a difference would be when you AirPlay to AppleTV and have a AVR connected to decode surround sound.
On an iPad you wouldn't note a difference, because iPad lacks any surround sound decoding capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.