Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
So I'm going to be ordering a new iMac after new years and I've pretty much decided on configuration, except I'm not sure if the jump from 16GB RAM (I've decided on that as a minimum) to 32 GB is worth the money? What, exactly does more RAM do in a Mac? I am not a professional at all but I hate waiting...:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How are you planning on using the computer. Most people now a days don't even need 16GB of ram, never mind 32gb.

What tasks are you executing that requires high amounts of ram?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I'm going to be ordering a new iMac after new years and I've pretty much decided on configuration, except I'm not sure if the jump from 16GB RAM (I've decided on that as a minimum) to 32 GB is worth the money? What, exactly does more RAM do in a Mac? I am not a professional at all but I hate waiting...:)

In general, the idea is that applications and data would be loaded into system RAM and accessed from there rather than a slower storage drive. But that said, as maflynn mentioned, unless you are using a real memory intensive application (something like large file edits in Photoshop perhaps), there is a real point of diminishing returns even after 8GB. Give this test a read.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

I find it easy to use up 32GB of RAM with VMware running and FCP X + Photoshop CC running in tandem.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
16 GB is more than adequate for the vast, vast majority of users. I have 16 in mine and in the past year I've never had any page outs (that includes during VM use).

32 GB is serious overkill unless you have pretty specific needs, and if you do then you tend to already know about it.

Alfinator

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Linköping - Sweden
Well RAM memory isn't that expensive so you could go with 16 GB and then if you feel any urge to have 36 GB (not cause i think you will) then just buy another 16 GB. It's as simple as that actually.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
LOL I'm more than good @ 16GB RAM

Thanks a lot folks. Appreciate the responses. I sure don't need 32 GB RAM.

@Weaselboy: that test answered all my questions. Thanks for the link.

Rich :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.