Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shigatashway

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
I'm almost positive that my iPad Air's magnets on the right bezel are free floating. When I fold over the smart cover to cover the screen, I hear and feel clicking of something internal moving. Is this potentially damaging?

This ipad replaced the first one I got that had dead pixels, and while the sound is slightly concerning, it does have one nice benefit: the magnets are much stronger when the cover is folded around the back and hold the cover firmly in place. On the first ipad, the magnets BARELY held it on the back. Apart from when opening/closing the cover, there is no rattling or movement that I can detect. Should I take this back?

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Slide the Smart Cover around the back a bit. Does the clicking annoy you now? Had this on my first rMini and the cover would move as I was reading a book etc and would get the clicking/rattling.

fakeycakemaker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
Loose Magnets

I have the same problem on my Air. It only started a few weeks ago and i'll definitely be taking it back. Feels like something cracking every time I flip the cover round.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
And that the magnets are in the cover, not the iPad. The iPad simply has magnetic sensors which are triggered by the cover.

That is what I thought so before I posted it earlier I used a small screwdriver and discovered that my rMini has two magnets located one each at the top right and lower right corner. I have other iPad models I didn't test but I assume they also have them.

Shabbis

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I had this same issue. Took mine back to my local apple store and they gave me a new iPad Air.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
That is what I thought so before I posted it earlier I used a small screwdriver and discovered that my rMini has two magnets located one each at the top right and lower right corner. I have other iPad models I didn't test but I assume they also have them.

Interesting, looks like there are magnets in both. Hope mine behaves. :)

Osubuck37

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
Mine does the same thing. It seems all iPads make that creaking noise when the smartcover rubbs against the rear of the ipad.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I have the same problem with my Air. Have not decided if I should replace it with a new one or not as it is working properly. The only thing that makes me thinking about switching is that the sound is driving me nuts ... Never experienced something like this with my old iPads.

Sport73

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
Wellington, FL
I'm having the same issue, and I'm beginning to think its part of the design since it seems pretty common. Clearly the magnets in the right bezel 'float' inward/outward. There is no rattle if I shake the iPad, but closing the Smart Cover will often 'pull' them forward with a disconcerting click, while flipping the cover around back creates a softer click.

Where does everyone stand on returning/exchanging their units?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I got a smart cover delivered late last night and put it on my retina Mini. Been using it ever since and I don't think I have noticed this.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
I've had the Smart Cover since day one (A little over a month now) and hear no noise whatsoever when opening or closing the cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.