Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RTF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
The Netherlands
Well that says it all.
I have a retina MBP with a 256 SSD.

Just bought a late 2012 Mac Mini. Used for media. No keyboard attached. I control it by screen share. I want to use a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (512GB) in the Mac mini. Because of the keyboard issue I cloned my rMBP SSD to the Samsung SSD.

Will my Mac Mini boot from the Samsung SSD when I put it in the mini?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion would be to buy a USB3/SATA docking station, put the drive into it, connect to Mini, and see if it boots BEFORE you open up the Mini to install it.

The dock is cheap (less that $25 US) and will come in handy for all sorts of drive-related tasks you may face in the future.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well that says it all.
I have a retina MBP with a 256 SSD.

Just bought a late 2012 Mac Mini. Used for media. No keyboard attached. I control it by screen share. I want to use a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (512GB) in the Mac mini. Because of the keyboard issue I cloned my rMBP SSD to the Samsung SSD.

Will my Mac Mini boot from the Samsung SSD when I put it in the mini?

Yes, that will work.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
As long as you are running the latest updates, then sure it will run. I would simply start with CMD-R on the MBP, connect the USB attached SSD, and clone the hard drive over. This will not copy the recovery partition however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.