Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrincessV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Need a little help finding an APP similar to Quicken Essential. I’ve used Quicken for Windows & like it. One of the better features is the “Debt Reduction Plan”. When setting up the plan, it considers many variables (highest interest, lowest debt) & set up a plan that’s pretty easy to follow and manual adjustments can be made. After setting up credit card accounts, you can set up the reduction plan and as you enter your credit card payments, it tracks the “reductions”.

After some research, I found that the Quicken Essential for MAC does not offer the Debt reduction plan. Are there any similar Apps out there with this feature?

I don’t need anything fancy, because I’m not tracking major investments, rental property or business transactions.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I will just throw this out there-

get a copy of vmware fusion(or parallels desktop) and then install Quicken (you will also need a copy of windows to do the installation as well). The reality is that there is no app as close to the quality of quicken for windows on the Mac. There are a few (youneedabudget, ibank, moneywell that may do what you need), but they all fall short. I know that this method is more expensive but it is the best solution in my opinion.

PrincessV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012

get a copy of vmware fusion(or parallels desktop) and then install Quicken (you will also need a copy of windows to do the installation as well). The reality is that there is no app as close to the quality of quicken for windows on the Mac. There are a few (youneedabudget, ibank, moneywell that may do what you need), but they all fall short. I know that this method is more expensive but it is the best solution in my opinion.

Thanks for answering! This maybe a little over my head since I just recently moved over to iMac :eek:

I checked each of the Apps you mentioned & still feel more comfortable with Quicken.

Thanks again!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for answering! This maybe a little over my head since I just recently moved over to iMac :eek:

I checked each of the Apps you mentioned & still feel more comfortable with Quicken.

Thanks again!
I have been a Quicken user for probably 25 years and until recently have been running it on my mbp using Parallels. Finally got tired of having to maintain both Windows 7 and Parallels (you need to rebuy it every 2-3 years because it will quick working after a few OSX updates). Also got tire of having to boot Windows and wait for that (slow). So I moved to a native Mac app called Moneydance. It's pretty close to Quicken but not quite there. If you need high power stuff like investment management you will be disappointed but for basics, I have found it very adequate. They have a free trial that lets you use it as long as you want but a maximum of 100 entries. That was more than enough to decide. It's not as polished as Quicken but I haven't found anything I like better than Moneydance.

cityhopper

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
I cannot speak for experience but I'm new to the Mac's and needed a Quicken/Intuit solutions. iBank seems to match up well against Quicken or You Need A Budget software. iBank data can be transferred to TurboTax. Like iBank, there are other solutions that also have iPad/iPhone sibling apps.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009

If Quicken is the only Windows application you need to run, you have a reasonable alternative in Wine (http://www.winehq.com or http://winebottler.kronenberg.org).

I am currently running Quicken 2013 (for Windows) using Wine.

I've tried all the Mac-based personal finance applications (including Quicken for Mac), they all fall way short of the Windows version of Quicken, particularly in handling more complex investment accounts.

I also use Mint.com (which is owned by Intuit, the makers of Quicken), particularly for daily cash flow budgeting. At some point, when the Mint.com folks get their act together and can handle more complex investment accounts, I will ditch Quicken forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.