Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Evad3rs Again Speak Out on 'Evasi0n' iOS 7 Jailbreak Controversy, Claim No Money Exchanged

Ahead of Christmas, the evad3rs released the evasi0n jailbreak for iOS 7, allowing Apple users with newer devices like the iPhone 5s, 5c, and Retina iPad mini to jailbreak their devices for the first time to access tweaks and apps outside of the App Store.

Shortly after the jailbreak was released to the public, controversy surfaced with Cydia administrator Jay Freeman noting that evasi0n did not include an official version of Cydia, an iOS application that allows users to install software on jailbroken devices. Freeman also revealed that the jailbreak inexplicably included a third party app store called "Taig" for Chinese users.

The Taig app store was quickly found to include pirated apps, prompting the evad3rs to explain their position via an open letter claiming no knowledge of the piracy and pledging to further investigate the issue.

Now the evad3rs have published a second open letter to the jailbreak community, announcing the removal of the Taig app store from the evasi0n jailbreak.
Quote:
However, after investigation and after notification from the community, we found examples, including pirated tweaks, Apple App Store apps, and even pod2g's PodDJ app. We dropped the ball on this. While we at first did not believe Taig purposefully violated our agreement, the depth of the transgression against the software developers and the jailbreak community cannot be overlooked and we could not move forward after that even if it were fixed.

We terminated our relationship with them. We are very disappointed that they have decided to put up a cracked version of the jailbreak on their site that installs Taig. We did not give them any permission or source code.
Following the controversy, there were rumors that the evad3rs had accepted money from Taig for the deal, which the evad3rs now deny. "We have received no money from any group, including Taig," reads the letter. "Our donations are being given to Public Knowledge, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure to help protect jailbreaking as your legal right."

The evad3rs team also clarifies that no user data was obtained by Taig, and that exposure was limited to users who had their computer's language set to Chinese.

The evasi0n jailbreak, which no longer includes Taig, can be downloaded directly from the evasi0n website. Evasi0n does not include an official version of Cydia, and according to the evad3rs, they are "working hard to fix the problems with the jailbreak."

Article Link: Evad3rs Again Speak Out on 'Evasi0n' iOS 7 Jailbreak Controversy, Claim No Money Exchanged
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

No doubt the usual lot will be here to defend them shortly - but this is what happens when greed gets in the way of things.

What happened to the old jailbreak community I was a part of a few years back? We used to trust each other back then.
Brian Y is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
MrGuder
macrumors 6502

I would never jailbreak my phone....but if I were....I would think that "Trust" would be one of the most important qualities in performing this...seems to me that was broken...
MrGuder is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:41 AM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
No doubt the usual lot will be here to defend them shortly - but this is what happens when greed gets in the way of things.

What happened to the old jailbreak community I was a part of a few years back? We used to trust each other back then.
You used to develop tools to jailbreak iDevices?
3bs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the jailbreak guys but why the hell didn't you wait for 7.1? Could you explain that in your open letter.....?
lolkthxbai is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
TiMacLover
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TiMacLover
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkthxbai View Post
Thanks for the jailbreak guys but why the hell didn't you wait for 7.1? Could you explain that in your open letter.....?
Agreed.

Above all, this whole situation damages the jailbreaking communities image by the public.
TiMacLover is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

With every big jailbreak, there is always so much drama.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:50 AM   #8
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compile 'em all View Post
With every big jailbreak, there is always so much drama.
Has it ever been this bad though?
3bs is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I jailbroke my phone last time around, but I am passing on this and probably won't jailbreak again.

The bugginess, instability and security risks just aren't worth it to me.

I like iOS7 just fine as is.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:53 AM   #10
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

I'm looking forward to jailbreaking again - but not through these guys.
jonnysods is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
Good luck with that. Who else is working on an iOS 7 jailbreak?
3bs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 09:58 AM   #12
mKTank
macrumors 65816

It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.
mKTank is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:01 AM   #13
cosmolv
macrumors member

Please make iOS 6 UI for iOS7
cosmolv is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:03 AM   #14
Han Solo 1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkthxbai View Post
Because they got a million dollar payday to release it NOW.

So now we're screwed since Apple knows the exploits and will patch them before 7.1.

Ridiculous.
Han Solo 1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:05 AM   #15
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Wow. Backtrack much?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #16
09sroyal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnysods View Post
There is no one else. Pretty much all jailbreakers have focused on evasi0n for this time around.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #17
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

But . . .

But you have a contract with Taig that says they won't do pirating on their site. How is it possible that they are in fact doing whatever they want? Oh yeah, you have absolutely no means of effectively enforcing that contract on a Chinese located company. Sorry.

And they stole your code? I'm shocked, schocked I say.

Seriously, if you left any of your devices unattended during any face to face meetings, I'd just get them wiped right now.
TallManNY is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
09sroyal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmolv View Post
Why would anybody want that?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:12 AM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmolv View Post
I thought jailbreaks offered skins/themes?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:13 AM   #20
hansonjohn590
macrumors 6502

While the original release was handled badly and was a real problem, this is a nonissue now. I say this as someone who bashed Evaders previously (see my post history). Ultimately, yes they failed to do their research on the company but the company went back on their contractual obligations.

They've addressed the issues openly and publicly, and it's been verified there's nothing hidden in there.

As to what they didn't wait until 7.1? Geohot was ready to come back and sell the (stolen) exploits himself so they beat him to the punch. A jailbreak was going to come out before 7.1 one way or another.
hansonjohn590 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:13 AM   #21
0xyMoron
macrumors regular

It was a deal gone bad, these guys are a bunch of lieng hypocrites, they keep contradicting themselves over and over again it's just pathetic now. If no money was involved why would they even bundle TaiG? If the community didn't react they would have kept it, got paid and made a fortune.

According to one of the JB heavyweights each jailbreak nets around 100$K from donations, they just got greedy and wanted much more which is outrageous given that their entire revenue is based on exploiting a mobile operating system and imo the only money they deserve to earn is the money they need to cover hosting fees and everything related, nothing else.

Last edited by 0xyMoron; Dec 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
0xyMoron is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #22
Ludatyk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
It's been displayed on reddit that without Taig even being installed, the jailbreak still regularly made contact with the Chinese site. No thanks, I'll keep my iPad unmolested. Not to mention these guys probably ruined any chance of having jailbreak for final 7.1. They used up valuable exploits on a beta. AND they didn't include saurik in its development, so now a lot of vital tools are broken or unsupported. But hay at least we did it first yay. Slow claps.

iOS 7.1 is months away. And there was competition with having a jailbreak as soon as possible with Geohot being in the mix. If it wasn't evad3rs it would certainly had been Geohot.

I honestly, believe this was blown out of proportion. It was miscommunication among evad3rs and the public. If they announced the details beforehand it wouldn't not had led to this much drama. I've been jailbreaking for years.. And having programming experience, I can only imagine how much hours has been put into it. And Saurik will eventually get a working Mobile Substrate, which he is currently working on. My iPad Air is jailbroken... Did it hours before the initial release.. I feel liberated :-) Haha..
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:18 AM   #23
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09sroyal View Post
Why would anybody want that?
Cause iOS7 looks like a 2 year old crayoned it??
vartanarsen is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:30 AM   #24
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
Cause iOS7 looks like a 2 year old crayoned it??
This doesn't even come close to answering his question.
Small White Car is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:42 AM   #25
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

What did they expect when they got into bed with a Chinese company??
KanosWRX is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion