Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cosmo123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys!

I'm new here :)

I just rented a new studio for college but it only has ethernet so I need a router. The studio is about 500 sqft and it's open floor plan.

I'm looking at the airport express, is it good for daily use?

I usually use a Macbook pro and an iPhone. Regular usage + watching videos and some light gaming.

Do you guys think the airport express is enough? Also how's the speed and is it easy to set up?

Thanks in advance!

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Hey guys!

I'm new here :)

I just rented a new studio for college but it only has ethernet so I need a router. The studio is about 500 sqft and it's open floor plan.

I'm looking at the airport express, is it good for daily use?

I usually use a Macbook pro and an iPhone. Regular usage + watching videos and some light gaming.

Do you guys think the airport express is enough? Also how's the speed and is it easy to set up?

Thanks in advance!
It would be perfect for you. I live in a 2 story townhouse and it covers the whole thing with no problem. You can set it up from your iPhone in about 2 minutes.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hey guys! I'm new here :)
I just rented a new studio for college but it only has ethernet so I need a router. The studio is about 500 sqft and it's open floor plan. I'm looking at the airport express, is it good for daily use?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to MacRumors! It's definitely a breeze to set-up, but as you know still runs 802.11n. It should definitely be enough for 500 sqft of open floor plan, and at roughly half the price of the extreme, not a bad deal unless you absolutely need the faster ac speeds; the further range of the extreme's 802.11ac is, in your situation, overkill.

Additionally, if at a future date you moved to a larger place and decided to go for an extreme, you could use the express to extend your range, albeit at the 'N' speed, or alternatively use it for streaming your music with Airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.