Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS Remains More Popular Than Android for Holiday Shopping in the U.S.

The majority of online orders from mobile devices on Christmas day were placed by iOS users rather than Android users, according to a new report from IBM. 23 percent of total online sales on Christmas in the United States were made from iOS devices, while just 4.6 percent were made from Android devices. Overall online traffic from iOS devices was at 32.6 percent, compared to 14.8 percent for Android.
Quote:
As a percentage of total online sales, iOS was more than five times higher than Android, driving 23 percent vs. 4.6 percent for Android. On average, iOS users spent $93.94 per order, nearly twice that of Android users, who spent $48.10 per order. iOS also led as a component of overall traffic with 32.6 percent vs. 14.8 percent for Android.
iOS users also spent nearly twice as much on their online orders, with the average order coming in at $93.94 compared to $48.10 per order from Android devices. When comparing tablets to smartphones, consumers made more purchases via tablets (19.4 percent vs. 9.3 percent) on smartphones and paid slightly more than smartphone users.

Overall online sales were up 16.5 percent in 2013, with mobile sales surging up to nearly 29 percent of all online traffic for a year-over-year gain of 40 percent.

IBM's data was gathered using its IBM Digital Analytics Benchmark, which analyzes data from approximately 800 retail sites in the United States. The company saw similar sales numbers during Black Friday, where iOS was responsible for 18.1 percent of sales with an average order amount of $127.92, compared to 3.5 percent and $105.20 for Android.

Article Link: iOS Remains More Popular Than Android for Holiday Shopping in the U.S.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:36 PM   #2
jav6454
macrumors G5

Apple is so dead....

On a serious note. How many were just people replacing an iPhone vs switching... thats the more important thing here.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

bring on the trolls!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Chatter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Apple is so dead....

On a serious note. How many were just people replacing an iPhone vs switching... thats the more important thing here.
Its numbers reported for users shopping ON their devices versus shopping FOR devices.
Apologies if you are asking a totally different question.
Chatter is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Apple is so dead....

This article is the amount of money spent while browsing on iOS vs Android devices for online sales, not how much was spent buying iOS or Android devices.
Dangerous Theory is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
brendu
macrumors 65816

So this would support the notion that people who buy iPhones tend to have more disposable income. I suppose that makes sense given the number of free low end android phones that people with less disposable income buys. I would wager those users who buy the Galaxy S4 or other high end android phones spend just about as much as iPhone users on other purchases.
brendu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:45 PM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
Its numbers reported for users shopping ON their devices versus shopping FOR devices.
Apologies if you are asking a totally different question.
He can be excused for not getting this from a first reading, it was confusingly written. I had to go to the source article to be sure about what was being said here.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:48 PM   #8
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Nothing new here, however the US is no longer the biggest market, so in the larger picture for Apple, not a very meaningful metric.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:50 PM   #9
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
He can be excused for not getting this from a first reading, it was confusingly written. I had to go to the source article to be sure about what was being said here.
Not really. The headline might give you that impression, but the first sentence of the article is clear that it's about the amount of shopping done from devices. People seem to be commenting just based on their impression of the headline without even reading the summary, much less the original article (kind of like Slashdot for those of you who know, except we're apparently not even reading the summary now ).
RMo is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10
malexandria
macrumors 6502

hmmm...

Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.
malexandria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:55 PM   #11
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Great news.
Google can trot out number after number after number of Android users but the reality is some feature phone Android user in Africa is meaningless.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:56 PM   #12
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Nothing new here, however the US is no longer the biggest market, so in the larger picture for Apple, not a very meaningful metric.
Biggest marketing in terms of what?
Winning the United Stats is the only meaningful metric.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:56 PM   #13
aristotle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendu View Post
So this would support the notion that people who buy iPhones tend to have more disposable income. I suppose that makes sense given the number of free low end android phones that people with less disposable income buys. I would wager those users who buy the Galaxy S4 or other high end android phones spend just about as much as iPhone users on other purchases.
So what exactly do people do on their android phones if they don't shop, don't buy games and apps and they don't surf the web?

Are the majority of Android phones lower end models being used mainly as dumb phone replacements to mostly talk and text and maybe do some instant messaging?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 03:58 PM   #14
512ke
macrumors 6502

Wow. Just wow.
512ke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexandria View Post
Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.
They're from IBM. Probably more reliable than individual antidotes.

----------

Quote:
But it probably is the biggest market where people spend money.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:03 PM   #16
IJ Reilly
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMo View Post
Not really. The headline might give you that impression, but the first sentence of the article is clear that it's about the amount of shopping done from devices. People seem to be commenting just based on their impression of the headline without even reading the summary, much less the original article (kind of like Slashdot for those of you who know, except we're apparently not even reading the summary now ).
No, really. Headlines should establish the material that follows. A clear first sentence also helps greatly. Such as,

"According to an IBM report, users of iOS devices placed more than five times as many online holiday orders as Android users, and spent nearly twice as much per order."

Now nobody is confused, even if they choose to read no further.

Last edited by IJ Reilly; Dec 26, 2013 at 04:08 PM.
IJ Reilly is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #17
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

How many Android-based music players are being sold? I think the iPod touch is a big contributor to this success on iOS' part.
coolfactor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:08 PM   #18
tasset
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle View Post
So what exactly do people do on their android phones if they don't shop, don't buy games and apps and they don't surf the web?

Are the majority of Android phones lower end models being used mainly as dumb phone replacements to mostly talk and text and maybe do some instant messaging?
I think there's enough evidence pointing to iOS devices being used to a higher degree than 80% of the Android models. Maybe Nexus/Galaxy users are right up there in usage patterns. My personal use is this: I have a 5S and an iPad that I do my real activity on, and I also have three $10-$20 prepaid Android doorstops (never activated on cellular) that have one purpose in life- to serve as torrentbots on public wifi.
tasset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Cmdrx3
macrumors newbie

PC vs Mac, XBox vs Playstation, IOS vs Android. It used to be VHS vs Betamax and Sega vs Nintendo but I will give the same response now as I did back then.... If it works for you and you are happy enough with it.. Who *********g cares!!!!
Cmdrx3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I believe it.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:10 PM   #21
Nahaz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Like someone has already pointed out, it's about online shopping. So all it's really saying is more people shop online using their iPhones. It's like saying more people play Angry Birds on an Android device and saying it's more popular.

Useless article really...
Nahaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
No, really. Headlines should establish the material that follows. A clear first sentence also helps greatly. Such as,

"According to an IBM report, users of iOS devices placed more than five times as many online holiday orders as Android users, and spent more than twice as much per order."

Now nobody is confused, even if they choose to read no further.
Sorry about that -- I didn't realize it was confusing, but I've altered the headline and first sentence a little to hopefully clear things up a bit.
jclo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:13 PM   #23
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I was stuck in an airport for a couple days recently, and I found the opposite true. iPhones and ipads everywhere, hardly any android.
ghettochris is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:17 PM   #24
proline
macrumors regular

Quote:
Total nonsense. The US is by FAR where most of the smartphone PROFIT is made. I guess you worship at the church of market share. Back in reality, the number of Android phones sold in India and China to people who can't afford data, apps, or shopping is completely meaningless.
proline is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:21 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
For US retailers iPhone users are a more lucrative target than Android users. That is a meaningful metric for them & explains why retailers put development priority on iPhone apps not Android. That is the point one should draw from the article. But it really only reconfirms data previously made public.

The article had nothing to do with Apple except that they make the phone. It's not a market share article it's a which users spend more $ shopping online w/ their phone article.

----------

Quote:
Not sure where you live but in general population areas like airports (ATL,DCA,BWI,BOS,MSY,LAS,LAX), restaurants, sporting events & such I see far more iOS devices than Android. In fact probably in opposite proportion to what you see.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion