Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
So this would support the notion that people who buy iPhones tend to have more disposable income. I suppose that makes sense given the number of free low end android phones that people with less disposable income buys. I would wager those users who buy the Galaxy S4 or other high end android phones spend just about as much as iPhone users on other purchases.

Most of my workmates who earn exactly the same as me... a 'medium' income within $85k-$130k use Androids.

For whatever reason most perceive Google's store as having all apps for free and Apple's as charging for everything. Android users also seem to go for raw numbers/gimmicks vs style and real-world performance.

For example my colleague has his quad-core Android plugged in all day because the battery (which he'll always boast is 4x the size of mine... so is 'better') becomes drained within ~3 hours of usage. His camera takes high MP, useless quality photos... which he can view on a lower resolution but physically larger screen (which doesn't fit into his pockets so has to be carried in his hand or a man bag).

It's hard to describe the iPhone users (me) vs the Android users. Takes me back to the old Mac v Windows days. Style, simplicity and real-world performance vs big ugly boxes made of cheap plastic that I've never really seen the sense behind.

IMO this situation will always exist. There's a market for us and a market for them... enough said.

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
I'd really like to see these numbers broken our by type of device. I have a feeling that a lot of actual purchasing is being done on iPads, not iPhones, and that tablets are driving Apple's strong "mobile" numbers, along with their stronger demo.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Apple is so dead....

On a serious note. How many were just people replacing an iPhone vs switching... thats the more important thing here.

You didn't even read the article correctly, it wasn't about iOS users buying Apple products, it was about iOS users shopping online period.

----------

He can be excused for not getting this from a first reading, it was confusingly written. I had to go to the source article to be sure about what was being said here.

Uh, that's your's and the first poster's issue, the article was clear as day what it was saying and it was clearly about online shopping in general.

----------

Not really. The headline might give you that impression, but the first sentence of the article is clear that it's about the amount of shopping done from devices. People seem to be commenting just based on their impression of the headline without even reading the summary, much less the original article (kind of like Slashdot for those of you who know, except we're apparently not even reading the summary now :)).

Exactly, it's so obvious when people just read the headline rather than the whole article. :)

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
So what exactly do people do on their android phones if they don't shop, don't buy games and apps and they don't surf the web?

Are the majority of Android phones lower end models being used mainly as dumb phone replacements to mostly talk and text and maybe do some instant messaging?

The article did the state the average amount purchased was $90+ so most likely people were shopping on their iPads and iOS definitely has the tablet market. I can't see a ton of people christmas shopping on their cell phones. Yeah, a few things here and there out of convenience but those numbers were most likely from iPad users.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I'd really like to see these numbers broken our by type of device. I have a feeling that a lot of actual purchasing is being done on iPads, not iPhones, and that tablets are driving Apple's strong "mobile" numbers, along with their stronger demo.
While they don't break it out to individual products, IBM's earlier Black Friday report basically provides enough information to make rather easy to deduce what's happening concerning Black Friday online shopping:

• iOS (28.2%) dominates Android (11.4%) in terms of online traffic (browsing)
  • iOS (18.1%) dominates Android (3.5%) in terms of online sales (purchases)
  • Smartphones (24.9%) dominate tablets (14.2%) in terms of online traffic
  • Tablets (14.4%) dominate smartphones (7.2%) in terms of online sales
  • Average sales from iOS devices ($127.92 per order) exceed average sales from Android devices ($105.20 per order)
  • Average sales from tablet users ($132.75 per order) exceed average sales from smartphone users ($115.63 per order)

Basically, stores are getting more people browsing on iPhones and buying on iPads. Rich people have iPhones, even richer people have iPads. iOS users buy more frequently than Android users and open up their wallets more every time they head to checkout line.

That's understandable, there are no cheap iPhones, no cheap iPads. They are all premium products whereas there is a mountain of cheap Android phones, and quite a few inexpensive Android tablets.

If I recall correctly, there were reports of the demographics of early iPad adopters and the average annual income was amazingly high, something like >$100K.

N64

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Lost Woods

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
There's a reason for this news. Android users, for the most part, do nothing but troll Apple websites and spew their walled garden, itard, ********, while rubbing themselves in Jergens hand lotion talking about how awesome Android is. All the while, Apple users USE their hardware.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
That's because we're smarter and have more disposable income. Also because we know how to use our phones for productivity and not just for Facebook and Instagram.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
There's a reason for this news. Android users, for the most part, do nothing but troll Apple websites and spew their walled garden, itard, ********, while rubbing themselves in Jergens hand lotion talking about how awesome Android is. All the while, Apple users USE their hardware.

So, I take it that you are an Android user?

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
The big footnote to this article is the last part of the title.... 'in the U.S.'

iOS might be popular in the States, but everywhere else....

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Apparently too many iOS users simply can't afford a desktop/laptop. What else can explain that iOS users do their shopping on small screen, no-multiwindow/multitasking, three tabs per browser max devices? Or, perhaps, too many iOS users just can't comprehend the idea of comparative shopping?

I personally prefer doing my shopping on a desktop with 27" monitor.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Yeah, but the US are just ONE nation of what makes the so-called "first world". In another first world country and leading economic nation, my home country Germany, Android smartphones had a market share of 78% in the last quarter. And it's not that we cannot afford to buy iPhones - it's just that a lot of people rather spend the same money on HTC Ones, LG G2s, Samsung Galaxy Notes and Galaxy S3s and S4s instead. Most young folks over here also no longer think that Apple is cool - the trend is changing.

And Germany is also only just ONE nation of what makes the so-called "first world". For example, in Japan where I live, iPhone market share was 76% last quarter when just last year that number was 50% or so. Apple may be losing momentum is some countries but is flourishing in others. A lot of people rather spend the same money on iPhones rather than HTC Ones, LG G2s, Samsung Galaxy Notes and Galaxy S3s and S4s. Most young folks over here also no longer think that Android is cool - the trend is changing.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
And Germany is also only just ONE nation of what makes the so-called "first world". For example, in Japan where I live, iPhone market share was 76% last quarter when just last year that number was 50% or so. Apple may be losing momentum is some countries but is flourishing in others. A lot of people rather spend the same money on iPhones rather than HTC Ones, LG G2s, Samsung Galaxy Notes and Galaxy S3s and S4s. Most young folks over here also no longer think that Android is cool - the trend is changing.

The numbers that you mentioned are for quarter sales not for total share (uptick related to DoCoMo finally offering iPhones). Still, I am very curious about the psychology of Japanese people. If the trend continues all of them will have the same phone soon. This may never happen in US.

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.

Those 2 iphone users have more disposable income than 7 android users combined. In fact it's more than 10 android users combined. And that's just on phone apps.

Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/11/27/apples-ios-brings-developers-5x-more-revenue-per-download-than-android

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
The big footnote to this article is the last part of the title.... 'in the U.S.'

iOS might be popular in the States, but everywhere else....
Without a doubt, outside the United States, there is even a higher prevalence of Android, particularly in cheap smartphones (which often behave little more than a touchscreen feature phone). And therein lies some serious considerations for Android developers.

For online retailers, why would you bother spending much time writing for Android, if the iOS crowd is going to be the ones generating the bulk of the sales?

Online retailer OpenSky? iOS app? Check. Android app? Nope.
Gilt.com? iPhone app? Check. iPad app? Check. Android smartphone app? Check. Android tablet app? Nope.

Even more challenged are other app developers. If you publish the same software title for both iOS and Android, and the iOS version is the one that generates magnitudes more revenue (both initial app sales and in-app purchases), what would motivate you to put in a lot of hours in developing the Android version?

Not sure if I buy these statistics, I'm seeing more and more people with Android devices where I am. It seems like for every 5 or 7 annoying giant android phone carrying people, I'll see 1 or 2 folks with iPhones.
Where are you hanging out? I see large numbers of Android smartphones when I'm out and about in normal places (public transit, coffee shops, schools, etc.).

When you go to certain places, all of sudden the Android devices become far scarce.

Go the airport and walk around the terminal. Plenty of Android devices. Then go to an airline club lounge, you know, the kind geared to business travelers. All of a sudden, it's mostly iOS devices.

Go to Hampton Inn, lots of Androids. Go to the lobby area of a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton. Again, all of sudden those Android devices are pretty scarce.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Wow the snobbery in this thread is simply amazing.

And it's one of the very worst aspects about Apple fans.

I am better than you as I own an Apple product.

Look at me, I bet you wish you could afford Apple like I can, you poor person.

This thread wreaks of this, it's horrible.

It's the very very very worst part about some Apple fans, actually thinking they are better than others simply because they feel their phone is nicer :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.