Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:03 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Renews Motion Calling for U.S. Ban on Samsung Products

During the original Apple v. Samsung trial in 2011, Apple requested an injunction to prevent Samsung from selling its Galaxy line of smartphones and tablets within the United States. Apple stated that the products in question violated three of its multitouch software patents, including the "rubber-banding" patent covering bounce back along with the tap-to-zoom and pinch-to-zoom patents. Judge Lucy Koh then formally denied Apple's request, suggesting there was no evidence Apple would suffer irreparable harm if Samsung was able to continue selling its products.

Last month, however, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that Judge Koh must reconsider her decision to not ban Samsung devices that infringed on Apple products. Now, FOSS Patents is reporting that Apple has renewed its bid for a U.S. ban on Samsung products, requesting that a separate injunction trial be held on January 30, 2014.
Quote:
It's important to focus on the asserted patents, not the accused products. Obviously, the products that are named in an April 2011 lawsuit (such as the Galaxy S II) are no longer commercially relevant. But Apple is seeking an injunction that would also cover "any other product not more than colorably different from an Infringing Product as to a feature found to infringe" (which is consistent with the Federal Circuit's TiVo v. EchoStar opinion).
The trial concerning a possible Samsung product ban will also be separate from a second infringement lawsuit to be held on March 31, 2014. Apple and Samsung also participated in a damages retrial last month that followed the original trial in 2011. The jury in the retrial found Samsung liable for $290 million in damages, with Samsung then filing a motion to delay its payments to Apple. That motion however was later denied by Judge Koh, basing her decision on three factors centering around the pace and progress of the case as a whole.

Article Link: Apple Renews Motion Calling for U.S. Ban on Samsung Products
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I know there is a lot at stake but I wish but Apple and Samsung would get over this and just make better products!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:06 AM   #3
ZOZO
Banned

Well, personally, I don't buy Samsung products. I consider it immoral (for those who should know better). They blatantly copy other people's products, not just Apple's. Portions of their company are legit, but large portions aren't.

On a funnier note...:

ZOZO is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:11 AM   #4
Jsameds
macrumors 6502

$1,000,000,000 isn't enough, Apple?
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:17 AM   #5
RichardI
macrumors 6502a

Apple is not doing themselves any good with this BS. I don't own a smartphone, but if I did it would be a Samsung. I don't like monopolies.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:20 AM   #6
ZOZO
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardI View Post
Apple is not doing themselves any good with this BS. I don't own a smartphone, but if I did it would be a Samsung. I don't like monopolies.
But you do like thieves? Interesting.

Just to avoid the likely upcoming argument...:

Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung-copying-cjr.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	453424

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Attached image instead of hot linking due to large image size
ZOZO is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:22 AM   #7
MajorC
macrumors newbie

Move along, nothing to see here. Apple-get over it and start innovating!
MajorC is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:36 AM   #8
Rich74
macrumors regular

How cool that a couple of lawyers got together so they could be known as mofos. Says it all.
Rich74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:42 AM   #9
FieldingMellish
macrumors 6502a

A strong offense is the only way to protect innovations protected by law. Otherwise, it's monkey see, monkey do with all competitors deciding to rip off those same innovations and more with no fear of reprisal.
FieldingMellish is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:54 AM   #10
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Meritless suits are dismissed as meritless. If Apple files a meritless suit it will be dismissed. If it is not dismissed it should be considered merited.

Like A coach in the NFL throwing in the red flag. That act alone doesn't affect the outcome. Anyone can throw in a red flag. And if it is meritless they may be penalised. But since Apple has been awarded almost a billion dollars already. I suspect there is a lot of merit.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:56 AM   #11
GoodWatch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZO View Post

It would be fair of you to make another effort and show us some of the 10,000+ 1-on-1 copied items emerging from China and surrounding countries. Not just focus on Samsung as Apple does. Why don't they go after the other 'thieves'? Too much of a hassle and Samsung is high profile, those others (although they probably cause more damage) are not. Howl along with the other wolves in the forest, easy and safe. And go on, call me a hater.
Goodbye everybody - I've got to go

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Removed image from quote
GoodWatch is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:02 AM   #12
SethBoy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
I know there is a lot at stake but I wish but Apple and Samsung would get over this and just make better products!
There is less incentive to spend time, effort and money on making better products if such innovations are not protected from copying.
SethBoy is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:22 AM   #13
Todd B.
In Time-Out

Can't feel too bad for Samsung. If they hadn't blatantly ripped off everything they do, this never would have happened. Maybe next time they'll try to come up with stuff on their own rather then piggybacking off of others success.
Todd B. is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:23 AM   #14
nemesiswar
macrumors member

Reading stuff like this makes me buy none of eithers products.. And as it is today i own both Samsung and Apple stuff.
nemesiswar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:31 AM   #15
the8thark
macrumors 68030

samsung copied Apple. The proof is there. Does this mean Apple should ask for all samsung products banned in the US? No. That is wrong and if the US legal system does the right thing it will notice this and laugh this out of court.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:45 AM   #16
icolove
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Do you really want to turn this into a who steals what thread for the 1000th time?

If you require, I'm sure someone could easily come up with 20 blatant things Apple has "stolen" from smartphone makers and software developers.

This industry is pathetic in what it calls "theft" and what it sues for. If something is good, and someone else adds it as a feature or uses design elements, that's not theft in most other industries. It's just the natural progression of ideas.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
icolove is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:53 AM   #17
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Yep. Blatant copying. Aaaaand...

I don't care. I am happy with my S4, simply because it gives me what Apple refuses to:

-A bigger screen
-Customization
-Freedom from iOS 7's look
-A seriously bigger screen

I waited and waited until finally gave me no choice (pun intended). It's looking like the divorce is going to be final...

That said, Apple is right for defending its IPs, as would any other company. It just doesn't affect me directly, so, I just move along.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: removed image from quote
melendezest is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:03 AM   #18
typeadam
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

Lol while I agree w/ all that, there's only so many ways to portray a microphone. And don't say 'they could've used something else' b/c half the voice rec. apps in the app store use a mic or some variation of it.
But I grant you the rest.

----------

I also think that some of you forget that smartphones are only a small part of Samsung as a whole, which also makes chemicals, semiconductors, ships, medical equipment, etc.

And a seriously hard LOL at the next clown to say "I would never board a Samsung ship" or "I would never get a scan in a Samsung MRI."

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Removed image from quote
typeadam is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:05 AM   #19
auero
macrumors 65816

Quote:

In all fairness, the first photo is inaccurate.

Quote:
Euronics Italia Sep 27, 2011
The picture is about our new store Euronics (www.euronics.it) opened Saturday in Sicily.

The photo is taken from an angle that does not rapresent the real situation of the Smartphone area.

All the wall of the Smartphone section in the store is covered by APP icon (Android and iOS) as decoration. The Samsung "shop in shop" is just a part of that and it's located in front of the same wall. So it's not another chapter of "Samsung vs Apple Affaire", it was only a choice of style in the decoration of an entire wall.

By now the "Safari App" icon located near the "Samsung location" has been removed in order to avoid further misunderstandings.

Greetings from Italy!
Source: http://allthingsd.com/20110923/what-...-wall-of-apps/

Those photos of the packaging and chargers are stupid. You should read what this lawsuit is about because you'll find its not about boxes and square chargers. You'll find hundreds of companies that make square chargers and even more who make similar packaging. It's all about IP. Apple should protect it's IP but at the same time many of them are extremely broad. That's only going to slow down innovation even more and as a result, there will be a mark up on products because they'll be required to license the patents from Apple. The only loser out of this is the consumer.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Removed image from quote
auero is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:08 AM   #20
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeadam View Post
Lol while I agree w/ all that, there's only so many ways to portray a microphone. And don't say 'they could've used something else' b/c half the voice rec. apps in the app store use a mic or some variation of it.
But I grant you the rest.[COLOR="#808080"]
The funny thing is that originally they used a tape recorder for the recording app but then looked at the iPhone and said that iPhone used a microphone, which is more recognizable, so it was better so use a microphone like the iPhone.

Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but it's just funny.
DeathChill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:11 AM   #21
nia820
macrumors 6502a

Here we go again. Seriously apple you won already.
Just like Samsung copied things from apple. Apple copied things from other manufacturs. They all do it.
nia820 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:20 AM   #22
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:

And, let's not forget that their designers made at least 200 sketches for each of these components.

Just to make sure they don't look anything like Apple products.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: removed image from quote
Thunderhawks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:39 AM   #23
tito2020
macrumors regular

Whats the difference everything is made in china anyways.
tito2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:46 AM   #24
PollyK
Banned

Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe you Apple. Why don't you actually invent something yourself rather than repackage other people's technology in a shiny little box. I don't call that innovation.
PollyK is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:47 AM   #25
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just to avoid the likely upcoming argument...: (Image snipped out)
And so another argument inevitably filled the void

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 27, 2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted image
Pakaku is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion