Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zh2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Hello folks,

I would like to attempt some sort of time lapse or long term photography project and I do not know how to proceed. Here goes...

I recently moved house and now live at the top of a hill. The house faces south and has some land directly in front of it. I can see the sunrise moving across my horizon and back again as the year progresses - from December 21st to June 21st. It is quite beautiful.

I can mount the camera on a very solid post at the front of the house. I am lucky enough to be able to take a photograph from this position every day at the same time for either 52 or 365 days whichever you think would work best.

My aim is to try and capture some sort of transition of the moving sunrise point throughout the year. ( hope that makes some sort of sense ! )

Any thoughts, anyone, on this project idea?

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!

Camera would be a Canon 450 or 600 with an assortment of lenses available.

Thanks and regards.

Z.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Very interesting situation you have here, Z. My thoughts are that your photo opportunities are limited only by your creativity!!

My 2 cents would be something along these lines:
Instead of focussing on the sunrise moving every day, what about taking a picture at the same *time* every week or so? That way, the sun will be at different elevations in the sky, and will have moved across. You can then stitch all these photos together to get what looks like a bunch of suns, at different elevations moving across the sky, with the foreground changing as the seasons come and go. Does that make sense?

Alex

Zh2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Hello Alex,

Many thanks for the input. The pinhole image is truly amazing!

So far then...

I have downloaded and installed Magic Lantern onto a Canon 600D.

I am thinking of making an orbital gear / drive gear with 365 teeth on it and mounting the camera on that on top of a 9inch x 9inch post at the front of the house. If you can imagine a flat, circular gear with raised teeth - The camera would sit atop this and then can be rotated, clock wise, one tooth per day for the duration of the " shoot ". The fixed and securely mounted gear will have an index tooth ( probably painted red ) pointing directly South.

If I take 2 photographs per day - One on each corresponding tooth for that day and one on the red tooth - Then I may have something to work with.

I am also thinking about digitally " slicing " the completed shots into 52 sections and stitching them back together.

To describe me as a novice in this field is something of an over statement!!!

Regards.

Z.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Hello Alex,

Many thanks for the input. The pinhole image is truly amazing!

So far then...

I have downloaded and installed Magic Lantern onto a Canon 600D.

I am thinking of making an orbital gear / drive gear with 365 teeth on it and mounting the camera on that on top of a 9inch x 9inch post at the front of the house. If you can imagine a flat, circular gear with raised teeth - The camera would sit atop this and then can be rotated, clock wise, one tooth per day for the duration of the " shoot ". The fixed and securely mounted gear will have an index tooth ( probably painted red ) pointing directly South.

If I take 2 photographs per day - One on each corresponding tooth for that day and one on the red tooth - Then I may have something to work with.

I am also thinking about digitally " slicing " the completed shots into 52 sections and stitching them back together.

To describe me as a novice in this field is something of an over statement!!!

Regards.

Z.

Sounds like a good idea. The only thing I'd say about your technique is that the sunrise doesn't do a complete 'lap' around the horizon over the year; it rises within a set number of degrees either side of due East, wobbling between the two extremes between Winter and Summer and then back to Winter etc. If you're planning on moving your camera round one 'notch' every day then you'll eventually have the sun rising out of your frame.

That's not to say your invention won't be useful though. Have you tried the Photographer's Ephemeris App? It shows you the direction of the sunrise every day of the year for any location. I have it, it's pretty cool. There's a cheaper version on the App Store called LightTrac which does essentially the same thing but for a quid or 2 less. I don't have it though, so I can't say what it's like. Couple that with the gear you mentioned and you'll be on to a winner.

All the best in your endeavours! And be sure to show us the final result! Don't worry, we'll wait :)

Alex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.