Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
I'm in the same boat as you and went with an iPhone 5 over a 5s. I'd prefer the 5s, but a lot of people are selling 5's on Swappa for $350-400, while the 5s is still going for $600-$650. Considering I'll only have this phone till next September (maybe even less if I wanna give some of the next-gen Android phones a try when they're released), it makes more sense to just get a 5 for $350-$400 and just wait it out. The 5 will still have pretty good resale value as iPhone's hold their value very, very well. I'd go for the 5. Fingerprint sensor is great and all (and I'd know since I owned a 5s before switching to a Moto X... and back to iOS now lol), but the speed differences are minor and the 5 will feel even faster once iOS 7.1 is out since the animations are much faster than in iOS 7.0.4. Go for the 5.

I'd recommend Swappa.com if you're looking for a good deal on one. I just bought mine off of their for $375 and it'll be here tomorrow (currently using an iPhone 4 in the meantime and it's infuriating... this thing never should have been allowed to update to iOS 7!). I can't wait! I love Android and everything -- especially the Moto X -- but as a whole, iPhone's are just more complete in my view. Android excelled in Google integration and notifications, but the camera wasn't that great and apps were sometimes great and sometimes bad. Also, for some reason group messaging didn't work after the KitKat update, but worked on Jelly Bean... that was especially annoying since a lot of my friends have iPhone's and I'm involved in about 4-5 group messages. I'll miss Android, but I'm definitely excited to be back on iOS. Whoops, it seemed I got a little off-topic there lol. :)

I hear you. I was on iPhone 5 when the screen got a bit bigger. Then I wanted to try Android again. But since I'm a Mac and iPad user, I miss having everything streamlined.

I don't know if I'll go to 7.1. I'm set on being jailbroken, and I doubt 7.1 gets it, at least not for a long while. Maybe it will be best to go with the speeder chipset if I'm going to be stuck on 7.0.4?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I hear you. I was on iPhone 5 when the screen got a bit bigger. Then I wanted to try Android again. But since I'm a Mac and iPad user, I miss having everything streamlined.

I don't know if I'll go to 7.1. I'm set on being jailbroken, and I doubt 7.1 gets it, at least not for a long while. Maybe it will be best to go with the speeder chipset if I'm going to be stuck on 7.0.4?

Same here man, I'm a Mac user and just purchased an iPad Air as well so it's nice having everything work together so well. I usually jailbreak my iPhone's (and root my Android's), but with iOS 7 there's nothing that I really want from jailbreaking for once. IMO, I'd still say to go with the 5 and then get the 6 when it comes out in September. To put it in another perspective, if you get the 5 now it'll be that much more of an upgrade when you get the 6 in September as opposed to going from 5s to the 6. Also, don't forget that the iPhone 5 is no slouch and has a very fast processor as well. I can post back in this thread tomorrow with my thoughts on the 5 when I get it tomorrow and how it compared to my 5s (I owned a 5s for about a month and a half) and maybe that can help you make a decision.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2013
Same here man, I'm a Mac user and just purchased an iPad Air as well so it's nice having everything work together so well. I usually jailbreak my iPhone's (and root my Android's), but with iOS 7 there's nothing that I really want from jailbreaking for once. IMO, I'd still say to go with the 5 and then get the 6 when it comes out in September. To put it in another perspective, if you get the 5 now it'll be that much more of an upgrade when you get the 6 in September as opposed to going from 5s to the 6. Also, don't forget that the iPhone 5 is no slouch and has a very fast processor as well. I can post back in this thread tomorrow with my thoughts on the 5 when I get it tomorrow and how it compared to my 5s (I owned a 5s for about a month and a half) and maybe that can help you make a decision.

I want to JB solely for the purpose of using TetherMe or MyWi. I do like being able to place icons wherever I want, and the use of iFile. But tethering is the main reason.

If you can post your thoughts on real-world differences between 5 and 5s tomorrow, that would be awesome! I'm not going to buy anything until at least next week anyway.

Ender Wiggins

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
I currently have an iPhone 5 but considering going to the 5s. I'm also planning on getting the 6 when it comes out. I always have to have the latest thing out.

Not sure though. $649 is pretty steep.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I want to JB solely for the purpose of using TetherMe or MyWi. I do like being able to place icons wherever I want, and the use of iFile. But tethering is the main reason.

If you can post your thoughts on real-world differences between 5 and 5s tomorrow, that would be awesome! I'm not going to buy anything until at least next week anyway.

I have sold my iPhone 5 yesterday, so I can give you My first impression after a day with 5s.
TouchID is "magic", a very brilliant idea.
For anything else I can't see any difference. I can't say nothing about battery life since I'm on my first charge ...

----------

If you are going to get the 6, iphone 5. If you're going to keep your phone for two years or more, iphone 5S.

I tried ... but I simply can't keep an iPhone for two years :D

Ender Wiggins

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
I have sold my iPhone 5 yesterday, so I can give you My first impression after a day with 5s.
TouchID is "magic", a very brilliant idea.
For anything else I can't see any difference. I can't say nothing about battery life since I'm on my first charge ...

----------

I tried ... but I simply can't keep an iPhone for two years :D

So no noticeable speed increase in opening apps, browsing internet, better signal, etc?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'm in the same boat as you and went with an iPhone 5 over a 5s. I'd prefer the 5s, but a lot of people are selling 5's on Swappa for $350-400, while the 5s is still going for $600-$650. Considering I'll only have this phone till next September (maybe even less if I wanna give some of the next-gen Android phones a try when they're released), it makes more sense to just get a 5 for $350-$400 and just wait it out. The 5 will still have pretty good resale value as iPhone's hold their value very, very well. I'd go for the 5. Fingerprint sensor is great and all (and I'd know since I owned a 5s before switching to a Moto X... and back to iOS now lol), but the speed differences are minor and the 5 will feel even faster once iOS 7.1 is out since the animations are much faster than in iOS 7.0.4. Go for the 5.

I'd recommend Swappa.com if you're looking for a good deal on one. I just bought mine off of their for $375 and it'll be here tomorrow (currently using an iPhone 4 in the meantime and it's infuriating... this thing never should have been allowed to update to iOS 7!). I can't wait! I love Android and everything -- especially the Moto X -- but as a whole, iPhone's are just more complete in my view. Android excelled in Google integration and notifications, but the camera wasn't that great and apps were sometimes great and sometimes bad. Also, for some reason group messaging didn't work after the KitKat update, but worked on Jelly Bean... that was especially annoying since a lot of my friends have iPhone's and I'm involved in about 4-5 group messages. I'll miss Android, but I'm definitely excited to be back on iOS. Whoops, it seemed I got a little off-topic there lol. :)

5S!!!!!!!!!!!So much better.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
So no noticeable speed increase in opening apps, browsing internet, better signal, etc?

Not so far ...
Keep in mind that I don't use my iPhone to play games (I prefer the iPad ) so I don't know about that kind of app.
For any other task it seems to be very very similar.
Btw the iPhone 5 isn't slow in ANY app, so nothing to complain .

----------

Other than Touch ID, why?

I think the battery is also better ....

Ender Wiggins

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Not so far ...
Keep in mind that I don't use my iPhone to play games (I prefer the iPad ) so I don't know about that kind of app.
For any other task it seems to be very very similar.
Btw the iPhone 5 isn't slow in ANY app, so nothing to complain .

----------

I think the battery is also better ....

I don't play any games either. The 5 might be the way to go. . . .

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I know. That's the smart answer, isn't it.

Touch ID aside, the screen experience, app speed, etc. isn't THAT different, is it?

Plus, I'm planning to JB it. 64-bit devices are having some trouble with most tweaks at present, although I don't think that will continue for much longer.

On the other hand, when it comes time to upgrade to 6, the 5S will have more resale value than the 5.

:confused:

The experience is no different. You won't find apps open quicker, run faster, etc. I have a 5s and a 5 and they are pretty much mirror images of each other and I haven't found any subjective difference between them.

At the end of the day you are getting the touch ID and the better camera, really nothing else IMO. By the time apps arrive that actually take advantage of the 64bit processor and other stuff we will be well into the iphone 6, if not the 6s.

Oh I almost forgot, you have the motion sensor/processor also. I haven't delved too deep into that, but I suppose its good for health apps and such.

Ender Wiggins

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Well OP? What's the decision?

As for me, I think I'm going to upgrade to 5S. Going to put my 5 on Craigslist tomorrow morning and see if I get any bites.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Got the iPhone 5 a few hours ago and paid $3 for my UDID to be registered so that I could install iOS 7.1 beta. I've been using it for a few hours now and haven't noticed any lag at all. With the increased animation speeds on iOS 7.1 beta it makes the phone feel extremely fast. Honestly, you won't have any regrets going for the 5.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Got the iPhone 5 a few hours ago and paid $3 for my UDID to be registered so that I could install iOS 7.1 beta. I've been using it for a few hours now and haven't noticed any lag at all. With the increased animation speeds on iOS 7.1 beta it makes the phone feel extremely fast. Honestly, you won't have any regrets going for the 5.

What do you have to do, and where, to be entitled to test a beta ?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
If you can find a 5 with iOS 6 you might like that as that is a combination people are lusting for around these parts. As a 5S owner I can tell you this phone is amazing. I came from an S3 and after getting used to the smaller form factor (believe me it's an adjustment coming from a 4.8" screen) I haven't looked back. The camera is better, the flash is better, the CPU is better, plus the 5S in gold is just kick ass. Superior all around IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.