Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Is an eBay account worth it??

My impression is there is no paypal fee to purchase items. Wrong?

Depends. Normal Paypal fees is 2.9% + $0.30, but you can also "gift" people money with no fees (you lose buyer protection this way). On eBay the 2.9% is required I believe on top of eBay fees (usually ends up being around 10% of sale price). However outside of eBay I have seen people do "gift" payments for items, thus getting out of PayPal fees.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Depends. Normal Paypal fees is 2.9% + $0.30, but you can also "gift" people money with no fees (you lose buyer protection this way). On eBay the 2.9% is required I believe on top of eBay fees (usually ends up being around 10% of sale price). However outside of eBay I have seen people do "gift" payments for items, thus getting out of PayPal fees.

Hmm, I probably forgot that since I am no longer active on eBay. Well I guess you have to counter that against the larger audience eBay provides?

Jnesbitt82

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2013
Ohio
My impression is there is no paypal fee to purchase items. Wrong?

There is no fee to purchase items, just to sell them. I've had my eBay account since Febuary of 2003. The only issues I've had is two different people didn't pay after winning. The first one was obviously a troll with a brand new account. The second was someone from Russia that bid and won and demanded that I ship it to him in Russia before he paid. Overall, it's been a good experience.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There is no fee to purchase items, just to sell them. I've had my eBay account since Febuary of 2003. The only issues I've had is two different people didn't pay after winning. The first one was obviously a troll with a brand new account. The second was someone from Russia that bid and won and demanded that I ship it to him in Russia before he paid. Overall, it's been a good experience.

I said that backwards... :eek:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I like to think so. I buy a lot of stuff off ebay and I sell stuff on occasion also.

And as far as PayPal goes, if you are worried about it being connected to your account, you could always open up another account, connect it to the new one like others have said.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Don't think you need to link a bank account if you're just buying.

To have my PayPal account "verified" I had to link my bank account. They sent me two small amounts of $0.19 and $0.14 and I had to enter those on my PayPal page to get verified. From what I can see it doesn't seem like I can even use my credit card with PayPal so why would they even ask me for it. I would really prefer to use it over my bank account though.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
To have my PayPal account "verified" I had to link my bank account. They sent me two small amounts of $0.19 and $0.14 and I had to enter those on my PayPal page to get verified. From what I can see it doesn't seem like I can even use my credit card with PayPal so why would they even ask me for it. I would really prefer to use it over my bank account though.

You can also add a credit card to your PayPal account, but I'm pretty sure you need to keep the link to your bank account as well. Every transaction I've used with PayPal lists my bank account first and I have to change the payment setting to my saved credit card. I never pay directly from my linked checking account.

There's probably a setting I could change to make my credit card the primary payment, but I use PayPal for checkout so infrequently, I don't bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.