Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
New rMBP. Actually my 4th, as numbers 1-3 had yellow tint displays.

This 4th one has a good display, but one niggling problem that I'm having trouble with, which is that the trackpad has just a bit of slop in it. What I mean is that when I tap to click (I never click to click), in the lower 2/3rds of the trackpad it has a bit of give to it. It's as if it's starting to actuate a click.

This behavior is in marked contrast to my 2010 MBP, which for 3 years had a trackpad that acted as solid as the case in response to my taps. Eventually it started to give just a tiny bit, but not as much as this one does out of the box.

1. Is this typical or at least common?
2. Is there a fix?

It's possible others wouldn't feel what I feel with it. But I'm very sensitive to these things. I'm reluctant to just return the machine for another since I went through 4 to get a decent display. I could try and get Applecare to take it in for trackpad repair/replacement, but given that I'm not near an apple store i'm not sure how it would go.

Shmanky

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Toronto
I think we've seen that each unit is slightly different than each other so it's probably that unit. Your previous 3 units didn't have a sloppy trackpad, did it. But even on a proper trackpad the top 1/3 part doesn't push in.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
New rMBP. Actually my 4th, as numbers 1-3 had yellow tint displays.

This 4th one has a good display, but one niggling problem that I'm having trouble with, which is that the trackpad has just a bit of slop in it. What I mean is that when I tap to click (I never click to click), in the lower 2/3rds of the trackpad it has a bit of give to it. It's as if it's starting to actuate a click.

This behavior is in marked contrast to my 2010 MBP, which for 3 years had a trackpad that acted as solid as the case in response to my taps. Eventually it started to give just a tiny bit, but not as much as this one does out of the box.

1. Is this typical or at least common?
2. Is there a fix?

It's possible others wouldn't feel what I feel with it. But I'm very sensitive to these things. I'm reluctant to just return the machine for another since I went through 4 to get a decent display. I could try and get Applecare to take it in for trackpad repair/replacement, but given that I'm not near an apple store i'm not sure how it would go.

Try to get the trackpad replaced. They will swap out for you your current bottom case (KB, battery, trackpad, bottom chassis).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.