Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,
I imported several photos as RAW+JPEG, however I need to separate them now. Is there any way to do this in Aperture?
Thanks in advance :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I have since switched over to LR but can’t you specify a file type in the metadata when searching through your catalogue?

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I think I wasn't clear, sorry. I can easily find which ones are JPEG, RAW, or JPEG+RAW just by searching the file type. But what I want to do is take the JPEG+RAW photos and split them into a JPEG photo and a RAW photo.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I think I wasn't clear, sorry. I can easily find which ones are JPEG, RAW, or JPEG+RAW just by searching the file type. But what I want to do is take the JPEG+RAW photos and split them into a JPEG photo and a RAW photo.

When you import as JPEG+RAW... they are permanently bonded together. However, you can select with one you want on a photo by photo basis.

Now if you want to have both RAW+JPEG as separate images... it is still trivial to perform. Let's assume, that you imported all the pictures into a project as JPEG+RAW (JPEG as Master)... which happens to be my favorite import method.

• Select every image in the project (CMD+A)
  • Create a new Album based on the selection
  • Create a new version from originals (Aperture > Photo > New version from Original)
  • Close all stacks (the newly created version will be the album pick)
  • Set Raw as Master

It takes just a few seconds to do it all... and your entire project instantly has two different sets of versions... one each for RAW and JPEG. You can now use them independently, and they each point back to the same bonded pair. Furthermore... I think for most people it is a fair question to ask... "Why would you want two completely separate and unlinked originals... when it is so easy to have both versions so easily available"... It just makes management so much easier. Just a simple example of how powerful Aperture is.

Of course... if you want separated originals (for whatever reason)... then of course Aperture allows you to import them independently... I just cannot imagine what the benefit would be (at least for my workflow).

The above trick was learned by reading Boyer's ebooks... probably the best source of really learning Aperture basics... and they are dirt cheap. http://photo.rwboyer.com

/Jim

Last edited:

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Awesome, thanks for the tip. That was exactly what I needed and works fine :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.