Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
Macs and Mac OS X are not the best platform if you want longer support since it seems that even if you would have Intel -based machine you would need 10.6, an OS released in 2009 while PC users can still install it on Windows XP, released in 2001. PowerPC is of course in worse since it began dying (from home computers = Macs) in 2005-2006.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Was inevitable, but a shame none the less. PowerPC had the last nail in its coffin when Apple ditched rosetta.

Swampus

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
Winterfell
It was nice of them to stay with it until they got the AltiVec code working again. IMHO, they left us with a very nice final release.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
To be honest I'm surprised that they stuck with PPC support for this long. I thought we would be out the window by 2011, but luckily we still had support. Sad to see it go, VLC is awesome and let me make a mini G4 into a awesome TV computer to watch movies and stuff on.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I wonder if someone is able to take the VLC 2.1 codebase and backport it to PowerPC and 10.5 like what was done with Firefox. I hope so, but then again I don't know much about that whole process.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
They also dropped support for 32 bit Intel Macs too. It seems that early Intel machines are now sharing the same fate with PPC

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
They also dropped support for 32 bit Intel Macs too. It seems that early Intel machines are now sharing the same fate with PPC

Yeah, I've noticed that too and luckily, some sellers of early Intel Macs understand the 32-bit limitation and are adjusting their selling prices accordingly.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
I wonder if someone is able to take the VLC 2.1 codebase and backport it to PowerPC and 10.5 like what was done with Firefox. I hope so, but then again I don't know much about that whole process.

It depends of the dependencies and few things. I still build QtCreator for PowerPC while only x86_64 is supported since 2.6... I just skip a part that I know I don't really need, although some plugins might fail. It could be the same thing with VLC. I think VLC 2.1 will still be available in Debian PPC and it's only the Mac port which is dropped. If it's true, should be easier to maintain.

I'll try to build on my G5, but don't expect anything.

Beavix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2010
Romania
From the Videolan forums:

Backporting VLC 2.1 to PPC is clearly feasible but it's not as simple as just compiling it. You need to tweak the ObjC 2.0 modern runtime optimizations we added for VLC's 2.1 release. I'd estimate a few days half time work to achieve this. Due to the small number of developers on Apple platforms (2 on iOS, 2 on Mac, while one of them doing both platforms), it isn't manageable for us anymore to support PowerPC Macs (as well as 32bit Intel).

gooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2013
thanks. maybe i'd better hop on it while it's still available. (glad i've still got a working copy of pearlyrics)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.