Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
So what do I do next?

I have iMacs and pcs on my system. How do I get my music into the apple tv? I see something about sharing... does the computer always have to be on, or will the Apple TV recognize my music foilders and add music automatically when I add it?

Also, I have a NAS with 600 movies in VIDEO_TS format... can I get those into the App TV?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
So what do I do next?

I have iMacs and pcs on my system. How do I get my music into the apple tv? I see something about sharing... does the computer always have to be on, or will the Apple TV recognize my music foilders and add music automatically when I add it?

Also, I have a NAS with 600 movies in VIDEO_TS format... can I get those into the App TV?

I am sure more members will chime in.. But to answer your questions...

Apple TV can play any music/video purchased from itunes via the cloud.
Apple TV can stream from itunes on your PC/Mac, but it must be running and home sharing turned on.

As for your NAS, Apple TV cannot connect to it and stream your files. But with Plexconnect http://plexconnect.org you will be able to. BUT you still will need a computer running to do this.

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
You don't get music or movies "into" the Apple TV; it doesn't have any storage. But you can stream from the cloud or from your devices that are powered on.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks. So in essance, the apple tv "echos" another computer thgat is on- you do not build a new itunes in it- right?

ANd the sales dude lied to me when he said it would play the DVDs on my nas....

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
To play music and videos from the NAS you will need to add them to your iTunes Library, and have the Apple TV access your iTunes Library, therefore the Mac or PC that access that Library will need to be ON.

EDIT: The videos need to be in a format that the Apple TV can read.

However with the right App you can access the NAS with an iPhone, iPod or iPad and using AirPlay you can reproduce the videos in the AppleTV.

Last edited:

efpierce

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2013
Thanks. So in essance, the apple tv "echos" another computer thgat is on- you do not build a new itunes in it- right?

ANd the sales dude lied to me when he said it would play the DVDs on my nas....

I found that out the hard way. I then had to use a local Apple guru to go through and get me started the right way. I still love my Apple TV though and it has worked very well for me once I got it figured out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.