Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sli4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
has anyone had any luck with cheaper 3rd party macbook pro batteries?
im trying to buy a new one for a 15in macbook pro (model a1211).
amazon has a few for around $25 and ebay does as well.
both places seem to have very mixed reviews. Even if there are 20 great reviews there are usually almost the same amount of awful reviews.

im at the point where my battery is telling me its charged but if i unplug the magsafe the lap top dies in 1minute and a lose all of my unsaved work.
i've tried pulling out the battery and holding down the power button to reset it with no luck.

thanks!

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
This topic has been beaten to death in this forum. As far as I can tell from reading countless threads about this exact topic is that there are two realistic choices: the Apple battery packs and those from Anker.

Every other story about buying a cheap third-party battery pack results in the inevitable "after [insert short time frame] the [insert cheapo brand name] battery failed, I bought the Apple one and I'm sorry I wasted my money on this piece of crap" confession.

This horse has been beaten to a bloody, senseless pulp.

But don't just take my word for it, go read the gargantuan pile of battery replacement pack threads here at MacRumors. For sure, when you are done reading them, your battery will be dead.

Enjoy!

:D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.