Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazuma

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
First a little background on what I'm ultimately trying to accomplish. I'm thinking about buying a mac mini to use as an iTunes media server and storing archived work files. I would be streaming mostly music and movies (both standard and hi-def). I have an 8-core 2008 mac pro that I could use. But, this seems to be overkill and consumes more power compared to the mini. How much power, I'm not sure?

I like the minis small foot print. I've looked at the mini stacks external drives. I like how they match the look of the mini and seem to take up about the same space as the mini. I figure I might need two to get started. One for the data and one to back it all up.

My main question is what are people doing with all the power supply plugs? The pictures of the mini stacks is some what deceiving. They don't really show that you need to plug in each one to a power supply. So, for now I would have three plugs. But in the future this could grow. This really isn't a big deal. I'm just wondering if there is something you all do to keep the plugs organized. One of the nice things of the mini is how it doesn't need a lot of space, but the amount of plugs needed kinda defeats this a little bit. Maybe I'm just used to the internal hard drive set up the older mac pros allow. Any wisdom on this is appreciated.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I just have a USB3-SATA dock, and a stack of loose hard drives. Just plug in the one with the movie to watch. Music and videos for kids is on the mini itself.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
All my main media is stored on a powered USB drive, then I have 2 other BUS powered drives for backups etc.

If you're willing to lose out on the look that could be your answer.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I have a TB RAID out of site (another room on the other side of the wall) and just run the one TB cable to the mini. The little bit of wire mess is outta sight. Perhaps not suitable for your situation, but I though I'd offer it up as a suggestion. The RAID is configured to present three different drives to the mini.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
Here's a stack and a Mac Mini combination example photo attached...is it what you were thinking of?

Attachments

• Stacks.jpg
    Stacks.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 117

mazuma

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
I was really just curious what people were doing when it comes to managing all the power cables. I guess the mini stacks might not be the route to go with all the power cords. I could do something like the photo above. That would only have two power cords. And allows for multiple drives. Mostly I was just trying to avoid a mess of cables and wondered if anyone had ideas. Thanks to the ideas so far.

nollimac

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
I was really just curious what people were doing when it comes to managing all the power cables. I guess the mini stacks might not be the route to go with all the power cords. I could do something like the photo above. That would only have two power cords. And allows for multiple drives. Mostly I was just trying to avoid a mess of cables and wondered if anyone had ideas. Thanks to the ideas so far.

So, you want to stack a group of the Mac Mini? For my home theater, Mac Mini Server, and home network, I have four surge protector, each with ten or twelve outlets. I would have shown a picture if it weren't ugly looking.

TahoeBlue

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
I use a Blue Lounge box, some Velcro straps, and a Quirky power strip. Not perfect, but neater and more inconspicuous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.